HD600 vs ER4P/S
Mar 28, 2002 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

peaches666

New Head-Fier
I was recently "downsized" by employer, had to move to a much smaller dwelling (ie cheaper...) Had to sell Klipschorns, and mid-fi components. Good headphone/amp combo to go with me portable cd player only option available. With about $300 bucks all I can budget, I am considering cmoy amp and either HD600 or ER4P/S combo. Desire accurate sound, comfortable cans. I like 'world music', blues, jazz, and oldies, as well as classical. Any reflections appreciated. Newbie, of course
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 17
Welcome to Head-Fi, peaches! With a $300 budget, that would just about cover the cost of a Senn HD-600 from Meier Audio and a JMT built cmoy amp. If you contact JMT (a moderator and amp builder extraordinaire) he can twek the amp to drive Senns. The cost of the ER4 is $269 whoich will put you over budget, if you go for an amp. Or you could get the ER-4P which can be driven quite easily by your portable, and get an amp later. Of course, the sound quality if plugged directly into your portable, would then be influenced a lot by the electronics of your CDP.
As for the sound differences of the HD-600 and Etymotic ER4, there is a huge gap there. They are very different sounding and give a totally different listening experience. The Senns are ultra comfy for most people, and they have a smooth laid-back sound, with very good bass response. They are also quite large, and are not really for use as a portable, although some here use them as such. They Etys, for some people, can be uncomfortable because of the in-ear approach. Others, including myself, do not find this to be a problem. They are a very revealing headphone that allows you to hear everything that is right, or wrong, with the rest of your system. I love them with high quality recordings. Poor ly recorded music can sound downright horrible!
Which you settle on, HD600s or Etys, really depends on which sonic signature you prefer, and also if you want circumaural or in-the-ear. Auditioning would be a good idea. You might want to take advantage of Headroom's 30 day return policy to see which one you like. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I'm moving this to the appropriate forum......Headphones.

Mar 28, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 17
If you are looking for sound a little closer to Klipsch, you may want to check out the Grado SR-325s/225s. A little over your budget could probably get you the SR-325s, and a JMT amp. Good luck!

Mar 28, 2002 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 17
Now that you mention it, that's some damned good advice, CRESCENDOPOWER! Klipsches/Grado 325s do have a similar sonic signature........up-front, in-your-face sound. They take no prisoners!
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 17
He did mention accuracy. I think that disqualifies the Grados for sure.

I would go for the Etys if "accuracy" is a priority. The Senns may be fun to listen to, but the Etys are for sure more accurate sounding. Then again, he could've easily looked this all up in a search.

Mar 28, 2002 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 17
Joey's the headphone hussy, I'd trust his recommendations.
wink.gif
I concur, go with the Senns.
smily_headphones1.gif
Grados are uncomfortable (for me anyway). The idea of shuving stuff in your ears freaks me out (how comfortable could that be?).

Mar 28, 2002 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 17
Thanks for your input on my quandry. To clarify, I have been reading this ( and Headwize) forum for the past few weeks in order to see what the favored cans are these days. I live just outside of Wichita, KS and our "hi-fi" stores stock very few headphones, the best of which was reportedly a Denon. Well, as indicated in my brief profile, I have had a pair of Denon's for 5+ years. I am looking forward to something better. newer, whatever. The stereo bug bit me 30+ years ago. I built a Dynaco 35w/c integrated amp from a kit and had a pair of AR4a speakers, and Dual turntable. Over the years I have went from Magneplanar SMG's to Polk SDA's to the Klipschorns. They each had their sonic signature, you have indicated. I enjoyed the Klipschs the most, loved the dynamic range, and the sweetness to the classical music. When I got laid off, I had to take a job for much less money and had to move to a much smaller place. The Klipschs had to go. I felt so miserable, I gave away my amp, CD player, tape deck, everything.

Sorry for the long sad tale, but to get to the point there is no place to audition either HD 600 or etys here ( or within 150 miles). When I inquired about some high quality headphones, one dealer said he had not had a request for good cans in over 5 years. Sad, isn't it. I suspect I would like either set of phones, but am leaning toward the etys, the owners sound so passionate about them. Thanks again for all your opinions/advice.

Mar 28, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

The stereo bug bit me 30+ years ago. I built a Dynaco 35w/c integrated amp from a kit and had a pair of AR4a speakers, and Dual turntable.

WOW.........substitute Dynaco 35w/c "power" amp and that's me! Peaches, do you remember the model of Dual? I had a Dual 1212 (still have it!).......still have my AR4x speakers, too.
Anyway, if you want to try the Etys, you can order them from Headroom and try them out for 30 days. You'll only be out the shipping if you decide to return them.

Mar 28, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 17
Passionate? All the loudmouths are Ety lovers.
tongue.gif
I haven't tried them yet, but hopefully will in June (HeadRoom Tour). I'm sure there are other advocates of Sennheiser HD600 besides me, they just choose not to say anything. Shy? Don't care? Who knows?

Mar 28, 2002 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 17
Obviously not ALL of the loudmouths are Ety fans. At least one loudmouth owns two pair of HD600.

Etymotic ER-4S (or 4P+S adaptor)
+ accurate
+ detailed
+ portable
+ 20 db of isolation
+ lower volume needed prob better for your hearing
+ easy to drive (4P can be driven by ANYTHING, 4S most things)
- 20 db of isolation (you may not want total isolation)
- no tactile bass
- some people have trouble getting good seal or find them uncomfortable (this headphone is NOT for everyone)
- microphonic noises are picked up easily by the top portion of the cable
- not good for use while walking on hard ground - impacts create discomfort
- stock cable is too short

Sennheiser HD600
+ comfortable
+ smooth/laid back (never fatiguing)
+ forgiving of poor recordings/sources
+ tactile bass
+ excellent build quality
- no isolation (open design)
- vocals too far back
- bass is loose/sloppy on most amps
- difficult to drive, amp needed to be as good as comparably priced headphones
- less detail, greater volume required to hear detail
- inaccurate frequency response
- large (not portable)

I own both and will probably keep both. The Etymotic goes with me to work and is in my coat pcoket at almost all times. With a Panasonic 570 alone, it's the best thing you can get in such a compact size. It isolates me completely from my coworkers which I prefer when I'm getting into my work.

The HD600 is awesome with the RKV amplifier. It's smooth, relaxing and comfortable so it's nice to listen to and relax at home and it's so forgiving of bad recordings that you can listen to anything with them. This is a nice system to have around at home. I didn't like the HD600 as much as the DT931 when using other amplifiers and would strongly recommend that if you're planning a lower powered amplifier.

Just my opinion.

Mar 28, 2002 at 6:34 AM Post #12 of 17
These 2 are of different usage, ety will shut you off from the surrounding, unless you can listen to the Senn in a totaly quiet environment, I don't see how you can compare the 2 on equal footing.

Mar 28, 2002 at 6:40 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Lizard
These 2 are of different usage, ety will shut you off from the surrounding, unless you can listen to the Senn in a totaly quiet environment, I don't see how you can compare the 2 on equal footing.

I agree. They are so vastly different that owning both is nice and doesn't have much redundancy.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you had to buy one or the other, it would almost certainly have to be based on situational criteria. Ie, I HAD to have closed design, good isolation at work. I HAD to have easy to drive low impedance for portable without amp.

Mar 28, 2002 at 1:50 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by BenG
He did mention accuracy. I think that disqualifies the Grados for sure

What is accuracy? And how would you recognize it?

Mar 28, 2002 at 4:17 PM Post #15 of 17
I have both and found that I had little use of the Etys.

The thing is if you use Etys at work, you will have to remove them frequently in order to talk with other people. (You are not gona have any friend if you insist wearing Etys all the time.)
If you use HD-600 at home, then a quiet and no interupt environment is not a problem.

If this is your only shot, HD-600 is much safer without audition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back