HD600 upgrade recommendations
May 19, 2020 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Verst

Previously known as Ayytwice
Hi all,

Currently looking to upgrade from the HD600 after around 6 years. Thinking of going for either the ZMF Auteur, Aeolus or the Hifiman Arya. Current amp and dac set up is the SMSL SP200+M200.

Looking for a nice upgrade for an all rounder for daily use. Did some reading around and the Auteur/Aeolus seems to somewhat be a direct upgrade for the 6x0 series for the warm-ish tone, and Arya seems to just be a great for most genres and I can get them for around 1.2K new.

Tried the Arya for a bit today and they were as amazing as most reviews claim, but I'm scared the Arya might be too neutral compared to the ZMFs and it might be too fatiguing for normal use with my amp. I usually listen to jazz / pop / hiphop and songs with female vocals.

Thanks for your help!

May 19, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 24
ZMF Auteur (stock eikon)
Audio Zenith PMx2 Rev.2
Verum Audio Verum 1 (either angled or stock)
Audeze LCD2 Classic (vegan)

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 24
Also an approximately 6 year 600 lover here (and counting). Last year I decided to try for an upgrade and went with Focal Clear (I found a like-new demo set for $1k at a local store). Nice improvement on detail level & clarity, major upgrade on the low end, and somehow no loss of mid presence -- just exceptionally well balanced. So overall I definitely call it a success. But I have to admit that it's sometimes a bit cold; doesn't have the relative warmth of the 600. I have to be in the right mood for the Clears, and often still choose the 600.

And since I can't be satisfied, I also have a set of LCD2C on the way, direct from Audeze. If everything I've read is true, they're gonna handily take the lead on warmth while still delivering impressive amounts of clarity & detail. Plus a nice fast & punchy bottom. I just hope the overall frequency balance is something I can truly dig (seems so).

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 24
That's what I'm concerned about regarding the Clears. So it seems like I should go for something else with a slightly warmer sound. Have you tried the hifiman Aryas? I've seen them compared with the Clears a lot but I'm not sure if the sound signature is that similar.

May 22, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 24
That's what I'm concerned about regarding the Clears. So it seems like I should go for something else with a slightly warmer sound. Have you tried the hifiman Aryas? I've seen them compared with the Clears a lot but I'm not sure if the sound signature is that similar.
I'm sad to say I've never heard any Hifimans. It's a big hole in my experience -- actually planars in general. That's why I got a set of Monoprice M1060C a few weeks ago, and I must say I'm a planar convert now. I'm really into this sound and loving the M1060C to be sure, but the downside is I can't help but wonder what a higher end set of planars can do, plus I'm craving more warmth lately. Thus the incoming Audeze LCD2C. They get such amazing reviews, and seem to strike a great balance between warmth and detail (not too dull or veiled). I have high hopes, but we'll see. Audeze offers a no questions 30 day return policy.

I just happened upon a whole series of reviews that Tyll of Innerfidelity did on sub $1k planars that you might find useful. I've only watched the LCD2C one so far, but intended to check out the whole series now that I'm all into planars.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 24
I thought i read that there's no benefit to going balanced when using AC powered amps. And it only helps battery amps. Not so?

Edit:
I just realized i may have inserted a landmine in your thread with this comment. I will happily delete this post if you like.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #11 of 24
That is what meet ups are for.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #12 of 24
I thought i read that there's no benefit to going balanced when using AC powered amps. And it only helps battery amps. Not so?

Edit:
I just realized i may have inserted a landmine in your thread with this comment. I will happily delete this post if you like.
No need to delete. Not for sure where you read that but I have a amp that puts out 350mw @ 300 ohms single ended and 1250mw @ 300 ohms balanced and not sure the difference of a battery powered amp and a AC powered amp would make.

May 24, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 24
Not so....It depends.

I have a DAC/Amp that could be powered by 12V. It comes with a standard wallwart and a LPS (Linear Powe Suplly) option. I have both.
Tested both along with a battery pack just for kicks. The LPS (Linear Power Supply) came out the winner. Blacker, clearer, more fluid (no/less grain).

Now back to HD600...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back