HD600 stock cable fails after 6 months
Nov 14, 2003 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BenW

New Head-Fier
Just letting you guys my impressions on the HD600 after 6 months. These have been 6 easy months, with the HD600 in transit but a few times, and any time they are not in use, they sit in their foam box. when moving the cans each time I loosely made the cable into a circle like a garden hose, with no sharp kinks. Last week the left portion of the "y", just below the black 2-prong plug, began cutting out. If you touched the left earphone cable the sound would cut out. This was confirmed on my friend's computer as well.

I replaced it with a Headroom stock replacement. Shipping was only 1 day! I was amazed. The best service hands down. Fixed my cutting out problems, and the sound quality is restored.

Anyone else lose a stock cable? is this going to be a regular occurrence?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area I don't frequent this board much (although I should
600smile.gif
).

Nov 14, 2003 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 7
I haven't heard of it being a problem, I think they were just telling you it was time to get one of the upgrade cables out there!

Nov 14, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 7
I'd never heard of someone having to replace the HD600 cable (voluntarily that is
evil_smiley.gif
) either. I did my homework on this site for a long time.

I'd like to replace the cable, but if anything gets upgraded its surely amp/source/cable (in that order).

thank you for your input and responses.

-ben

Nov 14, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #5 of 7
If I were you I'd have used the cable failure as an "excuse" to upgrade it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 14, 2003 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 7
I bought my 600 in 1999. I, too had massive cutting out problems.

I called Sennheiser about it, and they fixed it under it's warranty. They replaced the "bottom bales". The openings for where the connectors go now have "ribs", I guess to facilitate a tighter fit. The openings were originally smooth.

I have noticed that pulling them out repeatedly will aggravate the problem. I have noticed that my left connector is starting to cut out, but it's quite rare.

If replacing the cable doesn't fix it in the future, it is most definitely the springs holding the pins that are deformed. There is a really good "how to" posted here on how to fix it. DOn't remember the thread off hand...

Either way, I have a Zu Mobius Senn on it's way.
~~~~~~ZU~~~~
600smile.gif

-Ed

Nov 14, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by BenW
Anyone else lose a stock cable? is this going to be a regular occurrence?

Yes. They will eventually go, the wire breaking near the red and black connect plugs. Or at the plug at the other end. Sennheiser strain reliefs are stiff and useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back