HD600 + Schiit Vali
Nov 8, 2014 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

qkrzazzang

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I recently bought Hd600 and love it. Before I actually bought it, I actually did some research and read some threads about this headphones and people say some positive things about the HD600+Vali Combo. Thus, I'm planning to get one before the end of next week. But because I don't have any experiences with Amps or DACs, I'm not sure about some things.

Can I use Hd600 with just Vali itself, or do I need an amp and DAC as well?

What cables are needed to connect to my PC and how are they connected?

May be a very noob-ish question, but it really is my first time actually digging more into professional sound... 

Thanks in advance!

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 18
You can use a Vali without getting a separate DAC.  Your PC sound card is both a DAC and amp.  Are you on a desktop or a laptop? What you want to see is if you have a line-out jack on the sound card/motherboard as your goal is to get a line level signal into Vali, and handle the volume control on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-CMR206-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B000068O33  would be the cable from the computer to the Vali.

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 18
If you connect to Vali directly from PC, it is same as double-amplifying, and it is not recommended.

Unless your PC has a dedicated, expensive soundcard, you should buy a DAC, like this one for example.

http://hifimediy.com/U2-DAC

Connection should be like this

Your computer USB -> DAC -> Vali -> HD600

You need 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect Vali and DAC. Like this one

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021817&p_id=9299&seq=1&format=2

Also I must remind you about Vali's microphonics.

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 18
  You can use a Vali without getting a separate DAC.  Your PC sound card is both a DAC and amp.  Are you on a desktop or a laptop? What you want to see is if you have a line-out jack on the sound card/motherboard as your goal is to get a line level signal into Vali, and handle the volume control on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-CMR206-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B000068O33  would be the cable from the computer to the Vali.

I currently have the Xonar Essense STX, desktop PC. So does that mean DAC isn't quite necessary? I'm not too sure about what DAC is actually for.

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 18
  I currently have the Xonar Essense STX, desktop PC. So does that mean DAC isn't quite necessary? I'm not too sure about what DAC is actually for.

The Xonar is a DAC/Amp (pretty highly regarded as well).  You can connect the Vali to the Xonar through the line-out RCA ports.

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 18

The Xonar is a DAC/Amp (pretty highly regarded as well).  You can connect the Vali to the Xonar through the line-out RCA ports.

Thanks for the reply! Just some more questions for clarification..
If Xonar functions as both DAC/Amp, why would I need Vali? Would getting it and connecting to Xonar enhance the sound quality? Also, if I do it that way, does it mean that I won't need DAC?

Nov 9, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 18

Thanks for the reply! Just some more questions for clarification..
If Xonar functions as both DAC/Amp, why would I need Vali? Would getting it and connecting to Xonar enhance the sound quality? Also, if I do it that way, does it mean that I won't need DAC?

You have very neat soundcard which has a dedicated headphone amplifier inside. It actually has a 6.3mm headphone jack, so you don't need Vali to use HD600, technically (if we ignore debate whether Vali sounds better than the headphone amplifier inside of Xonar).

I believe the RCA output of Xonar (someone corrects me if I am wrong) is normal lineout, which avoids double amplification. Buy a RCA stereo cable and connect from your card's RCA connector to Vali. By this way, you will use the DAC section of your soundcard and use Vali as amplification.

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 18
If you connect to Vali directly from PC, it is same as double-amplifying, and it is not recommended.

Unless your PC has a dedicated, expensive soundcard, you should buy a DAC, like this one for example.

http://hifimediy.com/U2-DAC

Connection should be like this

Your computer USB -> DAC -> Vali -> HD600

You need 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect Vali and DAC. Like this one

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021817&p_id=9299&seq=1&format=2

Also I must remind you about Vali's microphonics.

Thinking about getting the same combo- HD 600 and Schiit Vali. Will be listening primarily to Spotify Premium through Mac or iPhone 6. My understanding is that there's no need for a DAC if streaming but now this comment above about double amping. True on the DAC? What's the deal with double amping and would it be better to stream directly from phone?

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #11 of 18
  Thinking about getting the same combo- HD 600 and Schiit Vali. Will be listening primarily to Spotify Premium through Mac or iPhone 6. My understanding is that there's no need for a DAC if streaming but now this comment above about double amping. True on the DAC? What's the deal with double amping and would it be better to stream directly from phone?

My Vali just arrived and I'm looking forward to bringing it home to meet the HD600, so I wanted to just hop on the thread, too.

Don't know if you got this squared away since November, but whether it's streaming or CDs or files saved on your computer all digital audio needs to be converted to analog before we humans can hear it, and that is the purpose of the DAC.  The DAC converts the digital file and outputs line level audio which the amp then amplifies.  All of this happens in a phone or computer when you plug your headphones in.  All the DACs and amps we drool and obsess over are just dedicated, better versions of the components already in your phone/computer.

The double-amping issue I'm still fuzzy on so far as the technical details.  The analogy used on me was to try and think of it as printing a document (the first amping) and then making a copy of that document (the second amping) - the copy of the print won't be as good as the initial print job because it's been processed more.  Best to just print once (single amp) if quality and clarity is what you're after.

I'd love to be corrected if I'm off on any of this.

May 7, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #12 of 18

My Vali just arrived and I'm looking forward to bringing it home to meet the HD600, so I wanted to just hop on the thread, too.

Don't know if you got this squared away since November, but whether it's streaming or CDs or files saved on your computer all digital audio needs to be converted to analog before we humans can hear it, and that is the purpose of the DAC.  The DAC converts the digital file and outputs line level audio which the amp then amplifies.  All of this happens in a phone or computer when you plug your headphones in.  All the DACs and amps we drool and obsess over are just dedicated, better versions of the components already in your phone/computer.

The double-amping issue I'm still fuzzy on so far as the technical details.  The analogy used on me was to try and think of it as printing a document (the first amping) and then making a copy of that document (the second amping) - the copy of the print won't be as good as the initial print job because it's been processed more.  Best to just print once (single amp) if quality and clarity is what you're after.

I'd love to be corrected if I'm off on any of this.

So do you like the HD600 + vali combo?

May 13, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #13 of 18
  So do you like the HD600 + vali combo?

Tremendously.  I know the Vali is only a hybrid and not as tube-y as real tubes, but I love it.  It's warmer and seems to have more texture or character than my Asgard or E17.  And the HD600 sounds glorious on it.  In fact, it has been my preferred listening combination since acquiring it.  The Vali certainly whet my appetite for exploring more tube sounds once funds are acquired.  I also want to find out what a 600 ohm set of cans sound like on it.  So a true tube amp or the 600 ohm DT990 is next on the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back