HD600 Rumble/Crackle :(
Sep 6, 2002 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

klipschter

Head-Fier
My brand new HD600's have a problem.

The left side's grill was slightly dinged when I got it, thought nothing of it really, I got such a great deal. But i do hear this crackly noise with low bass in just that side. think it is the result of it falling at the store? or just bass will do it?

i was playing 2001 a space oddessy's main theme with the 1 minute or so intrance of very low bass.

Sep 6, 2002 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 13
my computer, my portable cd player, my dvd player, my home cd player my friends pioneer elite cd player connected to his pioneer elite receiver. basically, any source. my promedia 5.1 control pod 250mW amp....

any source i get this rattle noise with bassy tracks and only on the left side where there is a slight indention of the grill.

Sep 6, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 13
they have another set waiting for me, appologized for the inconvience. I can't spell, just FYI
smily_headphones1.gif

so don't worry about it, getting a new one in just a few minutes.

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by klipschter
i do hear this crackly noise with low bass in just that side

A new phenomenon...Sennheiserattle.

Glad to hear your problem is resolved.

Sep 6, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 13
back with the new headphones and they sound great, no rattle.

only problem... the box is all ripped up. i did not notice till i got back home and opened them. that really rubs me the wrong way. $450 headphones in a ripped up box. I should have asked for my old box, i actually took care of it. oh well, just a cardboard box, not the nice inside box.

i also picked up the LOTR's sound track and it is excellent.

too bad, i had JUST broken in the old 600's... gotta do it again
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2002 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 13
Although this is obviously done and dusted Klipschter... you have another pair of HD600s which appear to work fine, it does appear to me... especially at a bargain price, and with the first pair having a dent on the driver enclosure, and the second set having a damaged box... that these are re-furbs...

Not that there is any fundamental problem with that, especially with the savings you've reaped... but, that could well explain the rattling on that one channel...

My own HD580s, I got as a special deal (no way would I have paid full retail cost for them!!) and when I cranked them up the first time, they started coughing and spluttering... I thought the worst, but being the ambitious person that I am, I took them apart... only to find half a dozen hairs caught on the driver membrane...

After removing those, all was fine... could've been something not too dissimilar, or that the dent in the housing, had compressed the diaphragm.. that also, is semi-easily fixable...

Anyway... you don't really need to know that, you have a new pair... and you're happy ~ thats all that matters
biggrin.gif

Have fun!!

Sep 7, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 13
OMG, klipschter! Your local Tweeter store had really horsed around with their in-stock HD600's! They keep dropping the boxes containing them!
mad.gif

That's an EXTREME case of headphone cruelty there, because my HD600's (purchased at The Great Indoors for that $250 price) came practically unblemished (even the paper outer wrapping that's around the cardboard/foam storage box is intact). They really sound sweet (even out of my TAH 4.5V) - in fact, I'm now starting to "suffer from" a new syndrome called "amp upgraditis"!
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 7, 2002 at 6:13 AM Post #13 of 13
I know how you feel eagle about the amp thing
smily_headphones1.gif

I also have a sneaky suspicion that these were used before, that really really erks me. I am going to call my local tweeter and ask them to go ahead and order me a new pair from sennheiser, i will have to wait till thursday to get it though. but i really don't like the fact that i am getting second hand hd600's.

the first set was brand new, packaging was perfect, but i think when they took them out of the box to show a customer that it fell on the counter when they were unwinding it or something. but that box was mint condition. this one is all ripped up, about 2 inches from the top of the box on both sides!

do you think that if i call and say that i have reason to believe that they are refurbs or something along those lines, or that they are returned items that they will get me a new set? i really don't want to chance anything. I want ot be the first person to enjoy these, not some guy who could not afford the financing...

either way i have won, $175 is an incredible price. even still, they sell them there for $449 or $399, depending on which store, so they should not be selling refurbs or returns. That is not something I think Senn. would like to know their AUTHORIZED dealers are doing.

We will just have to see what Tweeter says tomorrow, if they don't wash away. Check out the rain hitting texas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back