HD600 portable amplifier?
Apr 6, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 15
But I would buy one with Bluetooth if you plan to use with your phone. I wouldn't look anything without bluetooth connection. Wireless connection makes huge difference in terms of convenience.

Apr 6, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #8 of 15
HD-600’s is not would I think of as a portable headphone.

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #11 of 15
Right. Don't know if it's possible.
I wish I had just a little more volume out of my phone.

It's possible if you just want to walk around a quiet house.

The thing is though if you're gonna be inside the house anyway might as well use a desktop amp. As much as the output figures on a portable amp seems high vs a smartphone's audio chip, it's not a lot when you consider that every 3dB increase in (clean) output requires doubling the (clean) power output, and at 300ohms even powerful portable amps don't necessarily sustain the output level. Easiest way to do that before was with balanced drive portable headphone amps.

If you want to stick with portables I'd look into the following:

Ibasso D14 or D42
Fiio Q5
Meier PCStep

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #12 of 15
It's possible if you just want to walk around a quiet house.

The thing is though if you're gonna be inside the house anyway might as well use a desktop amp. As much as the output figures on a portable amp seems high vs a smartphone's audio chip, it's not a lot when you consider that every 3dB increase in (clean) output requires doubling the (clean) power output, and at 300ohms even powerful portable amps don't necessarily sustain the output level. Easiest way to do that before was with balanced drive portable headphone amps.

If you want to stick with portables I'd look into the following:

Ibasso D14 or D42
Fiio Q5
Meier PCStep
Appreciate the help.

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #13 of 15
Might look at a Fiio A5 or Cayin C5 both have 800mW at 32 ohms and the A5 does 150 at 300 which should be enough for the 600's.

Apr 8, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #15 of 15
Budget up $500. Looking for something neutral sounding. Thanks
I would recommend Fiio Q5 if you do not have a DAC. If you owned DAC, then Fiio A5 would be good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back