HD600 or HD650 most sonically similar to K240S?
May 22, 2014 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Captain Magenta

Head-Fier
I've always wanted one of the above Sennheisers and I now have the opportunity to purchase one thanks to a surprise P.P.I. repayment from my bank.  It is to compliment the closed K550s I have which I think are great but would like something a bit different sounding rather than similar.  I used to have the K240S and liked the sound of them, especially the mids, so a more relaxed sound signature is I guess what I want. I don't mind a bit of extra bass but not too much. I will be using E17/E9 combo for amplification. I listen to mostly mainstream classic rock and pop and a little progressive rock i.e Rush. My question is as the title says -  which of the Sennheisers are most similar to the K240s in bass quantity and mids?

May 23, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 3
As far as bass goes I think the HD650 is closer to the K240s.  Both the HD650 and 600 are very smooth and relaxing in the upper mids and treble compared to the K240s.  Note also that either sennheiser is harder to amp/drive than a 55 ohm K240s.

May 23, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 3
  As far as bass goes I think the HD650 is closer to the K240s.  Both the HD650 and 600 are very smooth and relaxing in the upper mids and treble compared to the K240s.  Note also that either sennheiser is harder to amp/drive than a 55 ohm K240s.

Thanks for the input.  A more relaxed sound is what I'm looking for so I've decided to go for the HD600.  I think there are too many negative views out there about the HD650 like being veiled and having overpowering bass to take the risk although I could probably research for the next year and still not be any the wiser!  It is a shame that I can't try both out beforehand but I guess it is all part of the fun.  The main deal for me is I don't want anything harsh about the sound (been through too many Superluxes!) and I think the K240S were the headphones I found the most to have this character and I do kind of regret selling them.  My E9 has been sitting around for the last couple of years  and so I'm looking forward to getting use out of it again.  I have thought about the capabilities of it with the HD600 but since I have it I will see how they pair up and decide if I like the sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back