HD600 or Grado SR80 for PC use?
Sep 27, 2003 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

justbsn2

New Head-Fier
First off, I know nothing bout headphones and thats why i would like some input on which set to get for my Audigy2 soundcard on my PC.
I will be using these for listening to music and gaming.I was looking at the HD590's but ive been reading that people liek the HD600's a bit more.

Are the HD600's too much headphone for my intended use? Also,I dont like to buy twice so i rather get a good pair and save money in the long run.If i get them will i be happy with the sound/comfort quality?

How bout the Grado SR80's?

If anyone is looking to sell their HD600's please pm me or email me.

Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2003 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 15
I don't know about the HD600s but I've been using my SR-80s out of my M-Audio Revolution for a while now and I can say it owns for music.

As for gaming the SR-80s are really not that good. The aggressive sound is rather nice but the fact that the positioning is rather bad and that it lacks the comfort needed for a long gaming session (LAN-party for example) gives it a low rank on my "cans-good-for-gaming list"...

Sep 27, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by justbsn2
First off, I know nothing bout headphones and thats why i would like some input on which set to get for my Audigy2 soundcard on my PC.
I will be using these for listening to music and gaming.I was looking at the HD590's but ive been reading that people liek the HD600's a bit more.

Are the HD600's too much headphone for my intended use?

Yes... I think unless you upgrade your soundcard to at least an M-Audio Revo (and get a good headphone amp to go with it) you would have wasted your money on the HD-600s.

Otherwise... the Grados will fit your setup much better, imo.

Sep 27, 2003 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 15
justbsn2,

you might want to do a seacrh for 'PC' or 'gaming'. there are a lot of recommendations for gaming, least of which will be the HD600 as it really needs a lot of power (amp) to make it sound best.

If all you want is the best for what you have, you might want to consider the CD3000 as it is a high effeciency low impedance headphone. most would agree that it is too sensitive (it will allow you to hear every snap, crackle, pop and hum) and is perhaps overkill.

Sep 27, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 15
How about something like the Senn HD590's?

Sep 27, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 15
i found my SR60 to be decent with mp3s directly out of my old Santa Cruz, and downright pleasant out of my Revo after i ditched the mediocre SC. for me though, too much detail from a headphone connected to my computer is not a good thing, nor is a laid-back presentation. the foreward sound of the SR60 seemed perfect for computer use...i cant imagine the SR80 being TOO different.

and i wholeheartedly agree with Moog on the gaming aspect of the SR80. i just use my mx500 for that...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2003 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 15
my friend has hd590 plugged directly in the live! audiocard (no amp) and they sound very good,more agressive then my hd600s,more bass and even more comfortable (so light it feels like u dont have anything on ur head)..and they're relatively cheap - so,for games i guess its one of the best choices

Sep 27, 2003 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by noiseunit

and i wholeheartedly agree with Moog on the gaming aspect of the SR80. i just use my mx500 for that...
smily_headphones1.gif

...and I use my PortaPro's. They actually have really good positioning. Haven't tried the mx500's though.

Sep 27, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 15
For gaming, pure gaming.. not much music..

This setup, owns everything out there.

(Audigy 2 has superior sound positioning. For music, use the M-Audio revolution)

Audigy 2->V6. Plain and simple.

The V6's do well for gaming. Not terribly well for music, but they beat the crap out of anything in their price range. Everything Sony, that is. Haven't heard the V6 *too* much on music, though. So I can't comment that much.

Sep 28, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 15
My Philips HP890 are great for gaming. On an online FPS I can hear footseps from across the playing field. Directionality is great as well and I can wear them for several hours with no problems (velvet ear-pads).

Sep 28, 2003 at 10:30 AM Post #11 of 15
Thanks guys for the replies.

Well i havent gotten any closer to choosing after all the suggestions.

Considering my setup:
Cambridge DTT3500 digital decoder amplifier
Audigy2
wired as digital 5.1 sound

The M-audio card isnt an option.

If i get the hd600 or cd3000,would the built-in amp be enough to move the headphones?

From the looks of it,my Cambridge dtt3500 has a built-in amp.Is this not enough or just wrong set-up for a set of cans im looking to get?

If not..i just might step down to the sony v6's if i cant get the sound quality from the other two out of my computer.

Any other suggestion?

Sep 28, 2003 at 10:49 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by cadobhuk
my friend has hd590 plugged directly in the live! audiocard (no amp) and they sound very good.....comfortable (so light it feels like u dont have anything on ur head)..and they're relatively cheap - so,for games i guess its one of the best choices

Seconded. Very comfortable for long hours of computer playing and sounds good w/o an amp. Had my headphones for awhile before my amp arrived and I was happy with the sound compared to my old cambridge 5.1 speakers. (Although it now sounds better with the amp)

Sep 28, 2003 at 11:15 AM Post #13 of 15
I would also go for the HD590's.

Sep 28, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #15 of 15
Currently, I use the HD497s with my Audigy 2 and they do a pretty good job for gaming purposes. I cannot compare them to the HD600 or 590. I can just recommend the 497. If you are truly serious about using these only for gaming I don't think it is necessary to buy any of the higher end Sennheisers. However, if you do think that you will be doing some music listening in the future with a dedicated audio system (good source, amp, etc.) then maybe the 600 or 590 will be good for you. I just think the 497 is a very good cost effective option for your requirements.

Hiker

Quote:

Also,I dont like to buy twice so i rather get a good pair and save money in the long run.

P.S. I don't think I know of anyone on these boards who has made ONLY one headphone purhase. I thought I was going to be like you and would be happy with my SR-80/Ipod combo for the rest of my life, but a mix of curiosity and addiction made me keep consulting this site for more info. Now I am in the process of procuring a good source (Denon 2900) and amp (Corda HA-2/PreHead). I never thought I would be an audiophile, but oh how things change . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back