HD600 or 650 with iPod and unamped sources?
Mar 10, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilZardoz
Edit: angler - I missed your reply as I was replying! I have listened to the PX-100s and think they're a great pair of cans for portability. The reason I asked about cable was that there is a pair of HD600s going cheapish at the moment secondhand and they come with the Cardas 10ft cable (and the original cable which I'll need for 3.5mm).

You can get cardas cables that terminate to either 1/4 or 1/8 inch (3.5mm) plugs. If the 10ft cable terminates to a 1/4 in. plug, then you just get yourself a 1/4 -> 1/8 adapter for $2-15 and enjoy the cable upgrade. If you do go this route, I say get the Grado 1/4 -> 1/8 adapter; the cardas termination is chubby to say the least, and a solid adapter would put way too much strain on the 1/8 in. jack. (If that was too confusing let me know or PM me...)

-Angler
600smile.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
The HD 595 is very, very close to the HD 600 in its frequency response graph. It sounds quite similar, but is much easier to drive. Go for the 595, not the 600.

The HD 595 are a good headphone but they are not similar to the HD 600. They are as refined a forward headphone as Sennheiser has though.

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #18 of 28
I ran my HD650s out of an ipod for several weeks before getting an amp, they sound alright, not great and you won't nearly hear their full potential, but it will sound fine; better than the PX100. i say go for it!

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #19 of 28
The HD-600s sound pretty OK with an iPod, even unamped.
I'm usually driving the 600s with a Musical Fidelity X-CAN/X-PSU V3 in combination with a decent source. You may want to chose the 650s over 600s because the OEM cables of the 600s feel really cheap (I've replace them with cables from Stefan AudioArt BTW).

Keep in mind that HD-600s (or 650s) are open type headphones; so listening to them outside won't really be a high-end experience anyway... especially in the city.

Go for them! You have enough time afterwards to buy headphone amps, DACs, Cables, other headphones!, etc. etc. etc.

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

I listened using a Musical Fidelity X-can III and a very average Cambridge Audio DVD/SACD player. Going between this and my iPod Photo with a mix of Apple Lossles and MP3 content, the HD600 stood out

Yup....... it's a great headphone isn't it?

Unamped, though, they will disappoint. But if you've fallen for the phones, buy them as anything else will be a compromise. The amp situation will sort itself out; you'll soon be buying one :p

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Might see if I can seek out a place to audition the DT880s then, but I still liked the sound that the 600s had.

I didn't say I'd never amp these - I just don't see how it'd be practical to haul an amp around with me along with my iPod. My main question was which would sound better unamped? If I was listening to them amped only, I'd probably settle on the HD650s. I know there's a difference as I did compare several sets of cans amped and unamped.

As for the HD600s on the iPod - I have yet to find a can that sounds as good on the iPod as the 600s but I haven't heard the 650s yet. I didn't have any trouble driving the HD600s from the iPod either - it certianly required a bit more juice than the Sony E-888s or PX-200s I have but it had plenty of power.

I do intend on getting a good amp in the future for home listening but this obviously isn't going to be practical from a portability perspective.

Edit: angler - I missed your reply as I was replying! I have listened to the PX-100s and think they're a great pair of cans for portability. The reason I asked about cable was that there is a pair of HD600s going cheapish at the moment secondhand and they come with the Cardas 10ft cable (and the original cable which I'll need for 3.5mm).

If size/price is of concern for a portable amp...get a PA2V2 from Gary. They're an incredible value and you will not be disappointed.

It has plenty of headroom/power imo for a portable amp in its price range and can provide that extra push you need to get over the hill so to say with your Ipod. It's nice introduction into pocket amps, too.

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #22 of 28
Get the 650/600s.

People who say they sound bad unamped are speaking in realitive terms. A lower impedence phone may make it to 90% of their potential unamped, wheares a higher impedence phone might make it to 75% of their potential unamped.

The 650/600 will likely sound better then pretty much every other senn out of a portable, save perhaps the 595. The bonus is they are not that much more than the 595 and are more readily available used, closing the cost gap even more. The double bonus is that the 650/600 will scale much better with any equipment upgrade you will make.

I think the advice that 650/600 sound bad out of an (insert DAP here) scare too many away from actually trying it, and many probably don't.

You will miss some of the dynamics that the senns are capable of, but the sound will crush most (outside IEMs) phones you listen to unamped from the DAP.

I thought from reading the forums the sound would be horrible and possibly inaudible. That is not the case.

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #24 of 28
That's true for many senny, especially when not in a quiet environment.

I just think if the OP likes the SQ of the senns he should get them first. Everything else surrounding them will attenuate the sound but not change its identity.

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #25 of 28
Ok, I managed to get the HD600s + 10ft Cardas for AU$380.

I'm happy
smily_headphones1.gif
From what I've read about the HD650s, I think I can see an upgrade in my future.. but for now, these do a fantastic job.

Thanks for the advice.

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:58 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by senny-ftw
Indeed, but for me they're not loud enough unamped.

That is a bit of a waste but when i tried to use the hd650 at 60%-70% volume on the 5g ipod, the sound was loud enough.
If you put the ipod at the max volume and think that it is still not loud enough you are probably damaging your ears.

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Ok, I managed to get the HD600s + 10ft Cardas for AU$380.

I'm happy
smily_headphones1.gif
From what I've read about the HD650s, I think I can see an upgrade in my future.. but for now, these do a fantastic job.

Thanks for the advice.

Enjoy!

-Angler
600smile.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #28 of 28
Awesome; you'll love the HD600s
580smile.gif

In my opinion, forget what they are "supposed" to sound like out on your ipod, load on some of your favourite tracks (using high-bitrate, I guess) and see how it compares with your home player and amp.
Mine sounded fine out of an ipod when I tried it for a short time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back