HD600: My custom bass extension curves.
Jun 15, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #76 of 123
  Thanks for the reply!

I'll see if I can post a pic now... Nope, still not working. :frowning2:

Not sure what the Head-fi rules are.  Is it telling you your post count is too low?

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #78 of 123
  Yep, no permissions as I only have two posts, but I'll get there!

Hey Gregg.....If possible....can you post a chart of the freq/db amount/Q factors along with your pix?  I'm not a foobar user.  I use gl's curve 4 exclusively (minor reduction at 2500 for some recordings) and also wish this ability was built into the DAP's themselves.

Bern

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #79 of 123
I can do, but it'll be missing some of the parts of the SlickEQ M that are the most innovative, such as the Meta Filter which I use to get things sounding slightly "softer", and some of the saturation and stereo/Sum&Difference options, which do tend to sound very nice. Also, each band has five Q settings from Narrow to Wide, but I don't know what the exact Q settings are. Once I can post images it will be much easier to see. I don't think I can even use the PM function to send people info yet. :frowning2:

6dB/octave HPF at 12Hz

Low Shelf +1.5dB at 74Hz (Very Wide Q, Baxendall like)
Bell -2.6dB at 148Hz (Wide Q)
Bell +1.3dB at 296Hz (Narrow Q)
Bell +0.3dB at 1184Hz (Narrow Q)
Bell -1.9dB at 4kHz (Narrow Q)
High Shelf +1.5dB at 15kHz (Very WIde Q, Baxendall like)

12dB/oct LPF at 60kHz

This setting, in combination with the new version (just released a couple of days ago, now has 100 divisions instead of 10, for much finer control, along with a VST version!) of the FB2K Meier Crossfeed component set to "18", is just candy to my ears. :wink:

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #80 of 123
Speaking of crossfeed, it's not free but you might want to check out the Waves NX trial, it's a full 3D speaker simulator for headphones.

It actually uses head tracking, right now with any webcam but they're also releasing a hardware tracker later.  Once you've found the perfect settings for your own head (this is crucial), it sounds totally convincing.

The idea is to take the sound out of your head by placing it into 3D space in a neutral sounding room, works brilliantly.  Aimed at pro audio but worth trying.

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #81 of 123
Thanks for the recommendation, although I'm very happy with the Meier Crossfeed component in FB2K. After tying many different components and plugins, this was the one that sounded most natural, and with just one control you can't really go wrong! Since the latest version a setting of 17/18 sounds just perfect to me. I'm absolutely not looking for "speaker sound in my head", I have a real pair of ATCs for that. I just want a way to get my HD600 sounding less like your brain has been stretched between two poles six feet apart. :wink: I have also really disliked any crossfeed style plugin that uses reverb.

Nope, still can't post a picture or use the PM, how long/how many posts is it supposed to take?

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #82 of 123
  Thanks for the recommendation, although I'm very happy with the Meier Crossfeed component in FB2K. After tying many different components and plugins, this was the one that sounded most natural, and with just one control you can't really go wrong!

I'm curious if you tried foo_dsp_xfeed.  I and others much prefer it to anything else available.   It is discussed and compared with others including Meier here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/202365/best-crossfeed-plugin-for-foobar/60#post_12151822

And is available to D/L here on the bottom right of the page:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,90761.0.html

As an aside _gl, that head tracking 3D number appears to be way more than I need or can handle.  Interesting though. 
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #83 of 123
Yes, I tried all the native FB2K component crossfeeds, and preferred Case's Meier Crossfeed to all the others. I'll check that thread on here though! There's also quite a lot of info and comparing and contrasting of them all on the FB2K forum here:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,108412.0.html

Definitely check out the new Meier Crossfeed version if you havenlt yet, the previous one only had 10 divisions, with anything above 2 being too string for me, now it has 100 divisions, so you can target it much more accurately.

Jun 17, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #84 of 123
  Yes, I tried all the native FB2K component crossfeeds, and preferred Case's Meier Crossfeed to all the others. I'll check that thread on here though! There's also quite a lot of info and comparing and contrasting of them all on the FB2K forum here:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,108412.0.html

Definitely check out the new Meier Crossfeed version if you havenlt yet, the previous one only had 10 divisions, with anything above 2 being too string for me, now it has 100 divisions, so you can target it much more accurately.

Went looking for the new improved Meier plug in and found it here:  http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_meiercf.
Am currently checking it out.  THX

First Impressions:
I'm using DSP chains* volume matched, to compare foo_dsp_xfeed to foo_dsp_meiercf.
xfeed is set ILD (low) -4.5, ILD (high) -12.0, ITD 283, EQ low shelf 0.0, Volume +4.5
meiercf is set to 25 (although I've tried 15 to 35, 25 seems close to a sweet spot right now... maybe a bit high, we'll see)

Honestly not a great deal of difference so far.  There might be more "airiness" with the xfeed and slightly more impactfulness and "brightness" with the meiercf.  If forced to choose right now I'd give the nod to the meiercf. 
wink.gif

* again kudos to _gl who provided helpful guidance about using DSP chains in his Easy UEs thread.

Jun 18, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #85 of 123
Yeah, I just love the Meier one cos it has one control, set and forget, and sounds great.

I just did the "remove the foam" mods to my HD600 BTW, so now my EQ curves sound all wrong... Back to the drawing board. :)

My DSP effect chain in FB2K is:

Convert Mono To Stereo
Voxengo MSED (Just used as an attenuator to get -5dB)
TDR SLickEQ M
Meier Crossfeed
TBDither

Jun 18, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #86 of 123
Did that foam thing and all the other reversible mods years ago with my HD580s and found that with all of them the claimed benefits were always offset by other issues.

Current configurations:
HD580 w/HD600 grills, HE5 velour earpads with their nylon liner replacing the Senn foam liner, NewFantasia OFC 2.0m cables
HD600 w/CustomCansUK ultra low capacitance braided litz wire 1.5m cables.

My FB2K DSP setup is quite basic:

--Convolver w/_gl's impulse curves
--Meier Crossfeed
--Skip Silence

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #87 of 123
I know this is a thread drift but since we've already discussed crossfeed, another one has just surfaced that is quite good.  Written by "Joe Bloggs" formerly of FiiO fame, it can be found discussed here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/811837/natural-crossfeed-on-headphones-earphones-for-foobar2000-v1-0#post_12665409

Interestingly it uses a stereo convolver which _gl might want to examine. 
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #88 of 123
This may seem counter intutive but I tried it and rather like it:

Resampler (SoX):  Target 44.1, Best quality,  95% bandpass,  50% linear phase response, aliasing/imaging not allowed
Convolver:  _gl HD600 Curve 4 (64f) 44.1, +4dB
Stereo Convolver:  Joe Bloggs 30 degree left & right wav files, -1.0dB
Skip Silence:  Short 5000ms, initial period intact, silence detection threshold -60dB

Jun 21, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #89 of 123
  This may seem counter intutive but I tried it and rather like it:

Resampler (SoX):  Target 44.1, Best quality,  95% bandpass,  50% linear phase response, aliasing/imaging not allowed
Convolver:  _gl HD600 Curve 4 (64f) 44.1, +4dB
Stereo Convolver:  Joe Bloggs 30 degree left & right wav files, -1.0dB
Skip Silence:  Short 5000ms, initial period intact, silence detection threshold -60dB

Interesting.  Try putting the currve after the StereoConv, technically that's more correct as the EQ correction should be last, ie. nearest the cans if you see what I mean

I assume the resampler is smart enough to avoid re-resampling a 44.1k source, but there are two 'mod' versions of it that allow finer grained control: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,67373.0.html

I haven't tried the crossfeed sims yet.  Personally I upsample 44.1k to 88.2k, before applying 88.2k curves (should be slightly cleaner/clearer).

Jun 21, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #90 of 123
Also try Sox linear phase = 45-46% Bob, I find it's slightly less 'hard' without smearing detail (it starts smearing to my ears below that on the Easy UES, though on resolving cans like the HD600 it's less of an issue).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back