HD600 + Meta42 + New iPod = Bliss
May 2, 2003 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

stan23

500+ Head-Fier
Talk about system synergy! The Meta42 really brings out the punch in the iPod. The iPod's line out is dead silent as well. Looks like the iPod can make a great source afterall...

The only problem is that I can really tell that i'm listening to mp3s.. Even at 320Kps -alt insane, the quality isn't as good as redbook. You can hear the little nuances (dropped bits?)

ipod3.jpg

May 2, 2003 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 16
Wow.

I'm jealous.

Very jealous.

I *was* going to assemble a vintage Marantz system with CSW/Kloss loudspeakers over the summer, but now I'm awfully tempted to invest instead in a new iPod, a kickin' headphone amp, and the HD-600s.

You people are right about losing one's wallet around here.

It's like drugs.

Bad.

May 2, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23
Talk about system synergy! The Meta42 really brings out the punch in the iPod. The iPod's line out is dead silent as well. Looks like the iPod can make a great source afterall...

The only problem is that I can really tell that i'm listening to mp3s.. Even at 320Kps -alt insane, the quality isn't as good as redbook. You can hear the little nuances (dropped bits?)

http://www.stanc.net/ipod2/ipod3.jpg[IMG] [/b] [/td] [/tr] [/table]

Why not use that rig to have an AAC vs. MP3 shootout? (if you've got a mac) I'd like to hear peoples points of view on the two formats head to head.

May 2, 2003 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 16
Dude! No I will not let you influence me into getting a Meta
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif

May 2, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by sonichead
Why not use that rig to have an AAC vs. MP3 shootout? (if you've got a mac) I'd like to hear peoples points of view on the two formats head to head.

Unfortunately, i just got rid of my iBook.. but I can use one at work and test your theory.

My standard rip is always 320Kps -alt Insane.. But at 10MB a song, it is hardly fair to judge against 128Kps AAC.

May 2, 2003 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23
Unfortunately, i just got rid of my iBook.. but I can use one at work and test your theory.

My standard rip is always 320Kps -alt Insane.. But at 10MB a song, it is hardly fair to judge against 128Kps AAC.

iTunes lets you rip 320kps AAC files as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

And btw, that is a damn sexy setup. The new iPod is on my "things to save up for" list.

May 2, 2003 at 6:55 AM Post #10 of 16
SEXY! I WANT! Seriously, I need one of those new ipods...oh, the possibilites
smily_headphones1.gif

Now to figure out how to go about paying for it....hrm
frown.gif

May 2, 2003 at 1:38 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Guardian
That picture is @*#$ sexy!

Yes, that picture is ****ing sexy.

May 2, 2003 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 16
The on-the-go playlist feature probably has the highest learning curve of all the new features, but it's probably one of the most innovative. To see how it works, check out Jobs' product unveiling speech at apple.com/quicktime/

Basically, you tell the iPod you're adding songs, then you find the song, hold the button down until the screen flashes, and that song is added. Wash, rinse, repeat.

--Chris

PS - Going to the 6pm shindig at AppleSoho tonight to check it out for myself. Lucky me, AppleSoho is in a direct walking path from my university to where I live, and the shindig starts about the same time I would be walking by anyway.

May 2, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by hempcamp
The on-the-go playlist feature probably has the highest learning curve of all the new features, but it's probably one of the most innovative. To see how it works, check out Jobs' product unveiling speech at apple.com/quicktime/

Basically, you tell the iPod you're adding songs, then you find the song, hold the button down until the screen flashes, and that song is added. Wash, rinse, repeat.

--Chris

PS - Going to the 6pm shindig at AppleSoho tonight to check it out for myself. Lucky me, AppleSoho is in a direct walking path from my university to where I live, and the shindig starts about the same time I would be walking by anyway.

Thats *exactly* how it works. A very nicely implemented feature IMO. Very simple to use with minimal button presses.

May 2, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #15 of 16
Hate to hijack your thread, but is there a software update that let's old iPods have the playlist on the fly feature?

Also, have you done a comparison on 320kb song versus a wav file on the iPod? I wonder if you're saying red book is better the mp3 is limited by the iPod hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back