HD600, K340, lions, and tigers and bears...
Sep 5, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #16 of 23
Then the Sextett I listened to must have been a MP version. **updates sig**

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #17 of 23
I'm curious about how the K340 should sound. Can someone do a quick little overview of the lows, mids and highs - especially compared to the HD600

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #20 of 23
hd600 mids are magical. nothing ive heard touches them yet. well, not entirely true I guess. Ive heard harbeths connected to an all accuphase system with digital room correction combined with more than 20k dollars of acoustic room tuning products that sound better but thats another story

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #21 of 23
I bought a new toy yesterday - a Sony CDP-C75ES CD player. Granted it's 18 years old, and wasn't at the top of the Sony heap when new, it still has dramatically improved the sound through my Millett amp and HD600 phones. I am still new to this "hobby," so I really didn't/don't have a crystal-clear understanding of the impact that various component changes can produce.

The sound from my big Denon CD player is pretty good (to my ears), as is the sound from the fantastic Kenwood DPC-72 - but the Sony blows them both out of the water. Soundstage is bigger (mostly wider), there is more texture and detail but not any unpleasant increase in brightness. Individual instruments have great separation and independence, no muddy or blurred tones. Listening to Sarah Vaughn, notes have greater delicacy and shimmer. In a way I can’t quite pinpoint, the sound is more natural and greatly more engaging. The mids of the HD600 are more pronounced in the way I had hoped they would be.

This is all just trouble, trouble, trouble as I am obviously enraptured by the substantial improvement that comes from each upgrade. Good thing the Sony player was $10 at Goodwill!
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #22 of 23
Are you using the Marantz CD5001 --> DV 336i for your HD600? I've been thinking about getting either the CD5001 or that new Wadia ipod transport thing as a main source. Would you recommend the CD5001 as a good general-use source? Thanks!

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_seattle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using the Marantz CD5001 --> DV 336i for your HD600? I've been thinking about getting either the CD5001 or that new Wadia ipod transport thing as a main source. Would you recommend the CD5001 as a good general-use source? Thanks!

I did do it that way for a while, and the CD5001 into DV336i is a very good combo for HD600. I did many of my early reviews with that, like the APureSound V3 vs stock cable review.

The CD5001 makes a good transparent transport to my Apogee mini-dac as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back