HD600+Integrated DAC/Amp or separate? Pros & Cons
Oct 28, 2008 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

djchaz

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, this is one of my first posts on Head-Fi so I realize this question could come off a little stupid, but I just wanted to get some opinions.

I just recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones and am now stuck in a rut in figuring out what DAC and/or amp to purchase.

I currently own an Audio Technica AT-HA20 amp so I am wondering if I should stick with this, possibly buy another amp down the road and buy the Zero Dac for a source, or whether I should go for something like the Meier Corda Cantate with has is an integrated DAC/amp system. I also mainly listen to music from my computer so I was also wondering whether the usb out on the something like the Cantate would compare to a portable usb converter like the Xitel MD-Port DG2. I am looking for the best possible combo for good sound and I've narrowed it down to these two options.

If it helps, I listen to (in this order): jazz, hip hop, classical, and electronica.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 9
An amp/dac combo is a compromise. Separate amp and dac will outperform combo.

Other's can give you a better run down on different products.

IMO be thinking about how much you want to spend? Do you like your current amp, or what do you like/dislike about it?

Where do you want to go in the future, do you want to work your way up the ladder, or jump in with both feet.

Not knowing anything about your amp, I'd vote for a stand alone dac for now, then upgrade the amp.

As you may know, the sound is limited by the weakest link in the chain, junk in = junk out.

Good luck

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by charley phogg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That kind of general statement is meaningless.

Some amp and dac combos will outperform some separate dac and amps according to the tastes of some people. Which just shows how meaninless that kind of general statement is, since the question is whic ones, and in what respects, with what music and so on....

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm trying to spend as little money as possible but still have good sound. From the amp reviews I've read it makes my amp sound like it is decent but nowhere to the extent of say a Little Dot so I'm wondering if I should upgrade and get a new amp (even though I don't know what would pair well with the HD600s) along with a separate DAC. Do you think the Zero DAC would compliment the HD600s or would something like the Meier Cantate DAC/Amp sound better?

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #5 of 9
I thought about it, and I think I'm going to save some money because of the dire state of the economy and just buy the Zero DAC and think about this amp business some other time, thanks for the comments!

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 9
I just ordered the HD600s and a Keces DA-152 DAC/HP Amp. I'll be sure to post some observations after I've spent some time with them, but as this will be my first HP rig I'm not sure they will mean a lot.

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 9
This might be a little late, but I have a HD600 and Cantate and I am more than happy with it, you can't really go wrong with this combo.

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by charley phogg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To clarify, it may be a compromise in the sense that most they can't be separately upgraded, and also that most of the high-end amplifiers do not include a integrated dac.
However, it doesn't mean that it sounds any worse because their cased in the same box.
In my case, I have a bantam DAC and pimeta(both DIY projects). I could put them in the same case, and save $20 on extra jacks, wiring, and casing... or, I can put it in the same case and well, vice versa.
normal_smile .gif

Regardless, I normally prefer the modularity of a separate solution.

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 9
Well, I tried to purchase the HD600s, but deal fell through. I ended up picking up a pair of Grado SR225s. While I loved them with the Keces DA-152 on some material, overall I just found too many bright spots. Thinking Senns for next step.

Beyond HP arena, I'm loving what the Keces is doing for my 2 channel set up. I can highly recommend this unit for anyone who is considering the DAC/pre-amp capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back