HD600 = HD580 Jubilee?
Nov 14, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
I was talking about improvements from the black or silver metal 325 to the gold 325i. Not the difference between plastic & metal Prestige series.

Sorry, I thought you were comparing the normal SR series cups to the 325/325i cups.

Quote:

Trust me, my 17' touring boat goes nowhere near white water.

Nice! Is it a one man or a double? I sold my surfski so now the only time I get to take a kayak out is when my dad or my friends want to go too
frown.gif
(We bought a 20' Ocean Kayak Cabo so I can't get that thing down to the water myself).

Quote:

Because the exact same arguement has been made about the driver enclosure, which is what I was speaking of. Who cares what the headband material is made of? That's not what I was talking about. I was commenting on the fact that people say it's not a carbon fiber product becuase it's not pretty, and it's foolish to discount benefits just because you don't understand the materials being used. And if the driver enclosures are one material, I would bet that the driver enclosures are the same for the sake of simplifying manufacturing.

I wasn't saying it didn't make a difference because it's not woven prettily, I was saying I think it was a little misleading for Sennheiser to that's carbon fiber instead of something like carbon composite because Thermoplastic carbon fiber is not anyone near as strong as Thermoset carbon fiber. Thermoplastic carbon fiber is only around 20% stronger than normal injection molded plastic, whereas Thermoset carbon fiber is around 3-400% stronger than regular injection molded plastic. However, I understand that it would be impractical for Sennheiser to use Thermoset CF not only for expenses, but the way the driver housings and headbands are designed, Thermoset can't be formed into that shape since it needs to be laid and resined in that shape. My personal feeling is that it just was a little misleading to use such a general term as "carbon fiber".

Nov 15, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Sorry, I thought you were comparing the normal SR series cups to the 325/325i cups.

No worries...

Quote:

Nice! Is it a one man or a double? I sold my surfski so now the only time I get to take a kayak out is when my dad or my friends want to go too
frown.gif
(We bought a 20' Ocean Kayak Cabo so I can't get that thing down to the water myself).

Single... It's actually around 16'-10". I have a ton of great paddling spots here. If I ever get my '62 JEEP back together and clear out the garage, I'll get started building my 16'-8" white & red cedar strip-built kayak.

Quote:

My personal feeling is that it just was a little misleading to use such a general term as "carbon fiber".

Fair enough... it's just that carbon fiber really is a general category, and Senns use doesn't bother me.

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #18 of 18
"Actual" carbon fiber (think LCD-4's headband) is getting cheap nowadays...it would be nice if the HD660S is made out of thermal-set carbon fiber, instead of the same material as the 600 and 650. Even cheapo chi-fi iems are using actual carbon fiber nowadays (e.g. Shozy Hibiki). In my opinion, the plastic/carbon composite whatever used in 600/650 is way to fragile to bear the high expectations associated with term "carbon fiber" - those headbands are known to crack when people tried to stretch them (to relieve clamping pressure).

On the other hand, I doubt if it's really matter in terms of sonic performance. The plastic/carbon material used in the frameworks of these headphones are really non-resonating. Tapping the headband/frame does not create any audible resonance at all. Sennheiser is often criticized for using plastic mainly in constructing high-priced headphones (the most recent example would be the Momentum True Wireless). I think it's unfair...since Sennheiser knows how to take advantages of plastic (reducing weight etc.) while avoiding many drawbacks of that material (such as resonances).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back