HD600 fatigue?
Oct 30, 2001 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dontblink

New Head-Fier
Just got these today... after about 20 minutes, I notice that my head/ears start to hurt.

I'm not sure whether this is due to the pressure, or the kind of highs/trebles I'm not used to hearing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions?

Oct 30, 2001 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 14
Well, hurt is not the same as fatigue. Easiest way to check if the pressure is the problem is just unplug the headphones and wear them for awhile. If they start hurting again, that's the problem.

How loud were you listening, anyways, and what is your other equipment?

Oct 30, 2001 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 14
could be the pressure. but listening to some harsh recordings on a bit too high volume will do as well.

Oct 30, 2001 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 14
I'm listening to mp3's (160-192kbps) on my computer through a Hercules Game Theatre XP. The Volume pot is turned up a little lower than half-way.

About normal volume. Not too loud...

Maybe I just had a headache to begin with.
confused.gif

Oct 30, 2001 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 14
hm, could be your source stuff. I'm not sure what is causing it, but I get fatigued rather easily even by quite ok mp3s through the soundcard.

Oct 30, 2001 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 14
Could be because Mp3's tend to sound like crap, especially on a hi end can like the senns, top it all off you have it plugged into a soundcard? Thats not gonna work too well.

George

Oct 30, 2001 at 10:32 PM Post #8 of 14
MP3 via soundcard to HD600 is just *asking* for fatigue
wink.gif

Also, as others mentioned, some people find the HD600 to be too "tight" when they're new. After use they soften up a bit.

So it could be poor source quality fatique, or too many Newtons on your head.

Oct 30, 2001 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 14
They did not fit as tight after about a week or so of use for me. You could always put them on some stuffed animals for a day to lessen the intial stiffness too.

Oct 30, 2001 at 11:56 PM Post #10 of 14
Poorly amped headphones all have teeny-tiny soundstages that are about the size of a walnut inside your head. That will give you a headache on its own. Combine that with a poor source and that equals fatigue. And that is a little bit loud.

Oct 31, 2001 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for all the suggestions.
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried wearing the headphones without any input, and got similar results.

Its like a pinching feeling towards the front of my ears, and really distracting.

They sound GREAT though...sure hope they'll loosen up. If not, anyone have an XBox they want to trade?
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2001 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
Could be because Mp3's tend to sound like crap, especially on a hi end can like the senns, top it all off you have it plugged into a soundcard? Thats not gonna work too well.

George

As far as I remember the GTXP has a very good headphone amp (for a sound card), though HD-600s might be a bit much for it - I don't think the soundcard is to blame.

This is also clarified in the above post
rolleyes.gif
sorry

Oct 31, 2001 at 3:10 AM Post #13 of 14
Good for a soundcard still = crap. Senns are extremely hard to drive. Good for a souncard = decent with Grados and Sonys because they are extremely easy to drive. It's all in perspective
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2001 at 4:29 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
Good for a soundcard still = crap. Senns are extremely hard to drive. Good for a souncard = decent with Grados and Sonys because they are extremely easy to drive. It's all in perspective
smily_headphones1.gif

Heh, yeah. When I first got my 580s a year ago, I first hooked them up straight to my father's shelf system, just to see how bad they sounded. It was . . . very thin, very fatiguing. I used the DSP PRO as an amp for a year -- hey, it sounded better, and my only source was my computer (heck, it still is).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back