HD600 + EarMax Pro = crap?
Feb 16, 2002 at 6:21 PM Post #17 of 65
Quote:

Matt, can you give exact examples of the Senn's etched highs? For example, do you have any famous classical recordings where you hear these etched highs...? If so, where exactly in the music do you hear them (which instruments, which song, etc.), and how does they sound different on the Sony?

Well, my best example so far has been "Judy at Carnegie Hall." (You know, this is so ****ing amazing me that I am even talking about this, but the differences are stunning) Anyhow, on the Sonys, her voice is very effortless and has this REALLY appealing, very natural and neutral sound. It sucks you in. You feel like you're falling forward forever into the beauty of it.

I can hear micro-quivvers in her voice, the voice is less veiled and less artificially bumped in the upper-treble. On the Senns, it's spittier and has rougher, way less refined treble. I mean, there is so much **** missing that I feel like all the gains I initially noticed from the EMP are gone. I'm talking about two totally different worlds. Let me emphasize this: the difference is like being in a flourescent light-washed office at at your desk at 10:00 a.m. in a tight tie as opposed to a walk on the beach as the sun is setting with the woman you're most attracted to.

Bottom line: one you wanna keep on doing, the other your ready to get it over with as soon as you start.

(Note that I am only talking about the micro details and subtle timbral shifts...those things which add interest and realism to a presentation!)

Additionally, while the Senns spit the upper-highs out, the Sonys just *present* them. I mean, they are so completely there (so they're not blocked-off), but they're not *shot* at you in a forceful way like with the Senns. In my experience (like with the Kimber Hero IC's) when the term "rolled-off" is used, it means "non-existent." While the Kimber Heros are this previous definition of "rolled-off" (which I'd better state as "blocked off"), the Sonys present everything, just in a natural way and they don't spit it at you. So I don't know if I'd apply "rolled-off" to them, because in my experience, these are totally different than what I've heard described as "rolled-off" and have actually heard.

When I listen to synth lines in which I could previously hear the micro-modulations of the pitch or amplitude, I can no longer hear those. It's a more "stern" sound, not the loose, airy, endlessly extended freedom and natural, sensual, organic sound I'm used to from the EMP.

I am dead serious about these vertical earbuds; the EMP obviously is the key player in their sound, but they just lay down and take the banging they get so beautifully. They have an Ety-like bass response (totally there and musical, but there is no visceral wash of bass energy over your ear itself).

Furthermore, with the Senns, where once I felt like I was able to *grace* with my fingertips deep-relief figures carved into a piece of stone, now I feel like I am back to the headphone jack of my cheesy JVC boombox, detail-wise: my hand now only flies over the major details.

I mean, before, with the Sonys, I was getting back behind those stone figures, caressing their rock-solid asses, feeling all the details and texture in detail of the wall behind them, getting really intimate with any level of the art. I could listen *easily* to the foreground, the background, the far, far background, the low-ground, high-ground and anything in between. Now, I can only sorta slap at the general details with my palms. And that slapping kinda hurts.

I am *so* missing all the micro details; the phones are just not picking them up.

For me, there is this subtle shift in sound reproduction where it flips between "believable" and "reproduced" and so far the Senns are just not doing it.

I am giving it two weeks, though, for whatever.

- Matt

Feb 16, 2002 at 6:28 PM Post #18 of 65
Unbelievable. I knew I should have kept my sony verticals from my ancient walkman. These may actually contend with the KSC-35s if they are as good as Matt says
smily_headphones1.gif

Where can I pick up a pair?

Feb 16, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #20 of 65
Maybe your Senns were exposed to the sun too long? Not to mention the heavy humidity down there on the beach.

I'm willing to bet that even with the harsh review from you, you'll be quite surprised when you finally notice how awesome they are.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #21 of 65
...I would pick up a pair of those ones some have been raving about ("A44" or whatever it is they're called). To me, from what I've heard, I wouldn't be surprised if the "in-ear etys" description is correct. Of course, I am talking about using these things with a decent amp, so maybe it's just their "sympathy" with a particular amp, so I guarantee nothing. Actually, come to think of it, they were just OK from my JMT. For some reason, they were just very sympathetic to the EMP.

Audio&Me,

Yeah, yeah...well, I'll give them the requisite two weeks and will get back to you. One thing is sure-as-hell: they're comfy!

- Matt

Feb 16, 2002 at 6:43 PM Post #22 of 65
I went searching for "the" post on the MDR-A44L cans and got this:

Quote:

"These things, quite simply, are open air Etymotics! When driven from a nice big rig, the sound fills in tremendously, the soundstage blooms, the highs become very smooth with no screechiness at all. The bass is very similar to Etymotic style bass...it's bass you can totally hear, but can't quite feel. But where they are most like the Etymotics is in inner detail and transparency..."

That describes, to the letter, my experience with the MDR-W07s and EarMax Pro.

Shocking soundstage, inner detail, all of it.

- Matt

Feb 16, 2002 at 6:55 PM Post #23 of 65
I found an old pair of Sony MDR-W08 laying around my brothers room and plugged them into the MG Head. They don't sound bad, rather fun, sounds like a PA system
tongue.gif
. I can see why someone would like this sound. I personally don't enjoy it, but it's not ****. The detail is there, but no soundstage. However, snare drums sound very funny with these, excessively dry and reflective.
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2002 at 7:37 PM Post #25 of 65
Quote:

I am dead serious about these vertical earbuds

*snicker* good luck convincing this crowd. Seriously Matt, you're better off just enjoying those vertical 'phones and knowing what you do, then to bother talking about it. I think there's just a serious ingrained fad here already that all vertical 'phones suck, and nobody wants to deviate from that. And nobody has deviated from that.

But, between you and me, I know what you're talking about. Microdetails full sized high end headphones can't even seem to pick up. A sense of ease to the sound that draws you in. I'm pretty accustomed to my A44s now being I have no other headphone to use but them, but there are certainly much worser fates one could be stuck with. I think the most interesting combo is the sweet yet detailed midrange combined with all those microdetails. Usually a headphone will be warm and end up losing resolution, such as with warm earphones like the MX-500 or 888s. Not so with these A44s. They're warm and yet let you see through deep into the music. You can actually pick up some visceral bass by tightening the headband so that it hooks upward or digs up into your earcanal.

Feb 16, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #26 of 65
I normally would try anything once but.....

Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
tightening the headband so that it hooks upward or digs up into your earcanal.

OUCH
eek.gif

Feb 16, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

Vertigo-1 said...

Microdetails full sized high end headphones can't even seem to pick up.

Are you including the R10s in that description?
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 16, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #29 of 65
...I don't think it's a pop fan-only thing. I listened to jazz (Oscar Peterson representing piano, Clifford Brown for trumpet, Ella Fitzgerald and young Judy Garland for female vocals, Stephane Grappelli, Django Reinhardt, etc.) and some classical (Schoenberg...if you can call that classical...maybe "Western Art Music") and everything held true.

Vert, goldammit, I might just have to go get me some of them A44L's. If they're any better, yay. I'm glad I'm not nuts.

As for the "sounds like a PA" thing and the "no soundstage" thing, I disagree. I was stunned more times with the incredible soundstage, though that may be totally dependant upon the amp I'm using. From the headphone out of my D-25S, a lot of the micro detail and most of the soundstage is lost.

Vert, where can I get the A44Ls? I'll do a search, so I can't be shouted at...
smily_headphones1.gif

- Matt

Feb 16, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #30 of 65
I don't think it's a pop thing either, since I don't even listen to pop nowdays.
rolleyes.gif
I listen to mostly instrumental new age music and soundtracks.

Matt, I think if you search Yahoo you'll find tons of sites that sell the A44s. They're probably also available locally if you look around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back