HD600 Driver Problem
Dec 1, 2009 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dude_500

100+ Head-Fier
For the last month I've noticed that my left and right channels haven't been very equal in volume (left was always louder regardless of which way the cables were plugged in). A few days ago the left channel went super quiet and tinny at about 10% volume with nothing below 1khz. I hit it a little on that ear and then it started working again. Still out of balance overall but at least it wasn't completely shot. Now it quit back to that 10% high pitch state again on that channel and I can't get it out of that.

I checked the resistance and both drivers are 286ohm.

Swapping the cables doesn't help.

I can't seem to find drivers on the sennheiser site anymore. Do they no longer carry the drivers for these headphones as a standalone repair product?

Also when trying to repair the balance I swapped the drivers and put a small deformation into the thin plastic membrane over the driver. Would this cause a problem with the Sennheiser warranty because they would blame that for the problem?

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dude_500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the last month I've noticed that my left and right channels haven't been very equal in volume (left was always louder regardless of which way the cables were plugged in). A few days ago the left channel went super quiet and tinny at about 10% volume with nothing below 1khz. I hit it a little on that ear and then it started working again. Still out of balance overall but at least it wasn't completely shot. Now it quit back to that 10% high pitch state again on that channel and I can't get it out of that.

I checked the resistance and both drivers are 286ohm.

Swapping the cables doesn't help.

I can't seem to find drivers on the sennheiser site anymore. Do they no longer carry the drivers for these headphones as a standalone repair product?

Also when trying to repair the balance I swapped the drivers and put a small deformation into the thin plastic membrane over the driver. Would this cause a problem with the Sennheiser warranty because they would blame that for the problem?

If you mean there's a small dent in the plastic membrane in the center, that's happened to me before when I was air dusting them. I read on here to try and, as strange as it sounds, put your mouth over the (CAVEAT: OVER THE - AS IN OUTSIDE ON THE LITTLE PROTRUDING GUARD DO NOT PUT YOUR MOUTH DIRECTLY ON IT) driver bubble enough to make a small seal and suck lightly. This popped it back out for me, has worked fine ever since. However, when mine was dented inward, there was no sound deterioration, I just knew it would place stress on the driver to keep it that way.

Right now I'm dealing with the fact that a drop of Diet Coke seems to have found its way onto the very thin black sheet (diaphragm?) of my left driver through the grill - I air dusted the **** out of it, and it doesn't seem to have effected sound or have gotten onto any of the central transducer itself, but damn if I'm not paranoid now.

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 7
I called Sennheiser this morning and they're sending a new driver no questions asked without even needing a serial number or proof of purchase, they just trusted it was less than 2 years old. That is the kind of quality customer service that will keep me going back to them in the future.

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 7
Yeah, they're really quite excellent. Very good communication via e-mail or otherwise. I sent mine in to be re-furbished not long ago before starting my Head-Fi journey (had used them for over three years then one channel cut out, and they literally gathered dust) - they did an incredible job with the re-furbish, looked practically new, and didn't charge me anything additional over the flat repair rate for brand new ear pads and headband pad as well as a new stock cable.

Sep 22, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #6 of 7
If you mean there's a small dent in the plastic membrane in the center, that's happened to me before when I was air dusting them. I read on here to try and, as strange as it sounds, put your mouth over the (CAVEAT: OVER THE - AS IN OUTSIDE ON THE LITTLE PROTRUDING GUARD DO NOT PUT YOUR MOUTH DIRECTLY ON IT) driver bubble enough to make a small seal and suck lightly. This popped it back out for me, has worked fine ever since. However, when mine was dented inward, there was no sound deterioration, I just knew it would place stress on the driver to keep it that way.
Thank you for this advice!! This just saved me from a very stupid mistake of using too much compressed air aimed directly at the driver membrane.

Sep 28, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 7
That same thing happened last year on a HD6XX. I used a straw from the other side to give a puff of air to get the bubble over the tweeter back into position after I accidentally touched it while cleaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back