HD600 Dilemma
Jan 7, 2004 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Kixyll

Head-Fier
Maybe some of you can help me out, I have a bit of a dilemma.

The $180 HD600 on E-cost is VERY tempting, but I am not sure it is the best phone for my uses. I wanted to get some opinions before I take the plunge. Currently I am using HD590s, with an equinox cable. I use them mostly for music/games, straight out of my PC. I use an M-audio card for music, Audigy for games. I am big into FPS's, so positional queues are very important.

Does anyone with experience know how the HD600 would do in this environment? I am not adverse to getting an amp, but if I purchase the 600's it would be a month or two before I could get an amp. Will my soundcard(s) be able to power the 600 sufficiently until then?

Thanks in advance for replies, any help is appreciated.

Jan 7, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 15
I also play alot of FPS games using my headphone setup. Positional cues from the HD600 are no different from the HD590 IMO. But your soundcard will never be able to power your HD600 sufficiently without an amp.

Dont get the HD600 unless you have an amp for it. Im not even talking about the implications of an ampless HD600 in terms of SQ (for obvious resons). But the volume level of your game will be too low even at the max volume of your soundcard to really enjoy your game.

Hope this helps
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Kixyll
Maybe some of you can help me out, I have a bit of a dilemma.

The $180 HD600 on E-cost is VERY tempting, but I am not sure it is the best phone for my uses. I wanted to get some opinions before I take the plunge. Currently I am using HD590s, with an equinox cable. I use them mostly for music/games, straight out of my PC. I use an M-audio card for music, Audigy for games. I am big into FPS's, so positional queues are very important.

Does anyone with experience know how the HD600 would do in this environment? I am not adverse to getting an amp, but if I purchase the 600's it would be a month or two before I could get an amp. Will my soundcard(s) be able to power the 600 sufficiently until then?

Thanks in advance for replies, any help is appreciated.

Audigy 1 or 2?

If its a 2, you will be fien for gaming but lack "depth" in music.

Jan 7, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 15
It's an Audigy 2.

I also recently received an Audigy 2 NX (usb 2.0 external card) from work for my laptop, and surprisingly it's not a bad little unit. Doesn't sound as good as the M-audio, but doesn't sound bad either. It gives you almost every input/output you could want in a convenient little box.

Jan 7, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 15
yeah... regardless of what these guys say, you will like the 600s right out of your card for games and after burn in... there OK with music (foobar 2k is a MUST)

Not saying that an amp wont help... just saying you dont NEED one right now!

Get those cans...

Now.

Now.

Serious, stop reading... GO!

Jan 7, 2004 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Prodigul
How does foobar help with sound quality over winamp or media player?

Ive never tried winamp but it sounds a lot better than crappy media player...

lemme know if you try it... ill help you with setting it up properly...

Jan 7, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 15
Well I just downloaded it, and dont notice a difference in audio quality. I am listening on pretty reasonable computer speakers, but maybe difference only apparent with headphones. Anyway, what were you saying about setting it up?

Jan 7, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #11 of 15
what sound card are you using?

You will need to d load the "kernel streaming" plug in for it...

after that... lemme know and ill tell you what to do to open up the sound

Jan 7, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Prodigul
Using audigy 2ZS

Same card as me
smily_headphones1.gif
Follow the directions on the link I posted for kernel streaming... very cool stuff.

Not sure if you will hear a HUGE difference with speakers. For me... it was a dramatic difference in sound with my SR-60s and now my HD-600s.

Jan 7, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 15
Actually trebble seems clearer. I should select audigy2zs as device, right? Also what should my buffer length be? Also any other settings to change? Thanks a bunch though, sounds a good amount better than windows media player

Users who are viewing this thread

Back