HD600: Creek or META42?
Jul 12, 2002 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 27
I didn't hear the META42 yet only the Creek (OBH-11). I can highly recommend the Creek for the HD600 though.

It is my understanding from reading audiophile forums that battery powered DIY amps rock the Grado-line of phones (low impendance) but can't beat the Creek or similar for high-impendance phones like the Sennheiser HD600.

Jul 12, 2002 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 27
Edit: Great I can edit the text of my posts but I can't delete double posts.

It would be really interesting to hear from someone who did an A/B comparision between a Creek/Little and a Meta42.

Jul 12, 2002 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 27
Don't rule out the Meta42 just because you've got HD600.

I can't tell you yet myself though, but this very week Tangent is building me a Meta42 very much with my HD600 in mind. The Meta42 is getting rave reviews around the boards, though, and many who've heard these amps have compared them to amps costing much more.

Jul 12, 2002 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 27
I really like the Creek with my HD600s. It also drives Grados really well. In fact I bought it because it does well with both.

If you are only concerned with driving HD600s go with an ASL MG-head!!! Even with stock tubes it's really really a nice match with the Senns.
It also provides a nice way to put off the inevitable upgraditis in that tubes are reasonably inexpensive when you are ready to play a little.

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Jul 13, 2002 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 27
From what I know of the META42, I would definitely risk any of the configurations over the Creek. I really think the Creek can be easily outdone.

Generally speaking, your money goes further with DIY even if you contract it out to someone. Of course, then you have to trust that person to do a good job--but there are a few happy campers in the forums.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2002 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 27
I think the META42 will win out against the Creek.

I'm building one for my Sennheiser HD 580s right now and my parts list comes close to the MSRP value of the Creek. So, don't expect to save alot of money going DIY.

Jul 14, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Having owned a Creek, I can honestly say that it's a pos.
biggrin.gif
Creek vs META42 is like Geo Metro vs Ford Mustang.

Hey, if you want good gas mileage and don't want/need power than the Mustang is a bad choice (unless it's one of those POS from the late eighties).

Remember a Meta42 can be tossed together and configured to sound like crap.

Jul 14, 2002 at 1:31 AM Post #12 of 27
5.0's are bad ass man, but yea the late eightys, man they were *****.

Oh and if someone made a META42 that sounded like crap, they obviously don't know what the **** they are doing and should be shot.
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
5.0's are bad ass man, but yea the late eightys, man they were *****.

Oh and if someone made a META42 that sounded like crap, they obviously don't know what the **** they are doing and should be shot.
biggrin.gif

4-putter mustangs... So, so wrong.

Even someone who knows what they are doing could make a crappy Meta. All it takes is poor component choices and a lot of cost cutting.

Jul 14, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #14 of 27
The 4 banger versions have better suspension but I'd never get one... I hate whimpy cost cut cars.

As to why someone would choose to build a crappy meta42 is beyond me.

Jul 14, 2002 at 2:57 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

...they obviously don't know what the **** they are doing and should be shot.
biggrin.gif

The penalty is a bit severe don't you think? Would that not be 'cruel and unusual punishment'?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back