HD600 + classical -> amp?
May 11, 2010 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jodles

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm trying to find a decent amp between $100- $400 (possible max $500) that would run my HD600 well and suit classical music.

It's important to me that it sounds as transparent as possible, or closest to original recording. I don't want it to add any characteristic sound.

I've looked at the Ray Samuels amps, and they look nice, and seem to pair well with the HD600's. How would they be with classical? Does it even matter? Should I be thinking genre when choosing amp? Or only headphones-amp combo?

I'm thinking about using the Apogee One as a DAC out of my macbook (alac).

so ALAC -> Apogee One DAC (?) -> amp (RS?) -> HD600

Suggestions?:)

May 11, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 4
Genre might make a difference for amps, but probably nowhere near as much as it makes for headphones (I'd probably say genre dictates headphones and headphones dictate amp more than anything else). You didn't mention whether you were looking for a solid-state or tube amp...I'm mainly a hybrid- and tube-amp guy (for the moment at least), so I'll probably speak to those more. I think SS amps sound a bit harsh for my liking, but it's a personal matter.

I'm currently listening to "Buss und Reu" from the St. Matthew Passion through HD580s (with 600 grills, so functionally identical to 600s) with my newly built Bottlehead Crack, and it's wonderful. That's mainly available as a DIY kit for $200, but you can get it pre-built from Bottlehead for $390. Another amp I've had great luck with for the HD580s is the Head-Direct EF1, and the current HiFiMan EF5 ($400) is basically the EF1 but better. I did have issues with the volume control at low volumes, but the pairing worked quite nicely. For some reason, my Millett MiniMAX just doesn't do it for me with the 580s...it makes everything sound flat and bloated, if that makes sense.

That said, if you can afford an RSA amp, go for it. I've been lusting over a Raptor for a while now.

May 13, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 4
Thank you for your suggestions!

I found the Sheeraudio HA-006+ interesting, as well as the DIY kit of Bottlehead Crack. Then I can learn something at the same time.

I have the impression that tubes color the sound more than solid-state. Am I totally off here?

From Ray Samuels I was thinking about the Emmeline XP-7 without ac adapter. I could go that far if the improvements are noteworthy...

Jodles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back