HD600, 650, K701 or AH-D2000's?
Mar 28, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #16 of 23
I have had my 600s for many years now and tried the 650s a couple years ago. Between the 2 I preferred my 600s and as a bonus they are cheaper. I am not sure about the AKGs or Denon's but I frequently wear my 600s for 8 hours or a more a day and they are always comfortable.

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #17 of 23
Of those you've indicated... by far... the best value / SQ is the HD600 (at your price).

The HD580 is even better (value / SQ), when modfied with the HD600 grills, and deveiled with the HD650 cable - all priced around $185. Sounds identical to the HD600 - since it has the identical drivers.

It (HD580/600) is the most versatile... although it does require amplification to sound good. But... it does sound great with the Meier Corda 2Move, for example.

You will not be pleased with the HD650, without major investments in your set up, unless you like a very dark (not bright and detailed), somewhat boomy, muddy sound - it should not even be on your list in your budget range.

The K701, reportedly has no bass, without major investments in your set up.

The D2000 might be OK, though it likely will require the "Markl" mods to rival the HD580/600 sound.

But... you'll be most pleased with the HD580/600... and... they'll improve with future upgrades in your set up.

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #18 of 23
Well this free shipping applies only to USA . Shipping to Europe costs usually around 60 dollars + he has to pay value added tax for items purchased from USA (quick googling shows that it is 19 percent in Netherlands ) . And then there is the question of warranty , it is way cheaper to send your phones to European vendor than American one .

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #19 of 23
I will choose between the ad200 and the hd600. For hd600 its got the best price and very close perfomance to hd650(maybe just different taste), but for the ad2000, it is easier to drive and has really good sound quality, but the price is quite high compared with the others. If your budget is quite constrained, go for the600. If you will use it more often with portable rig, ad2000 is really good.

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #20 of 23
Lots of food for thought, thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate it. I don't know if anyone has any specific experience with my amplifier: Marantz Europe because I'm wondering how good the headphone out truly is. I have to be honest, I'm more a speaker kind of guy but during late night listening I still want to enjoy some quality tunes.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the HD-600, at the price they look really tempting and after reading alot, it seems to me that I would like them more than the HD-650.

The price on the denon was an estimate, it was the official list price and I hadn't found any webshop yet that sold them at a lower price. The Amazon links is very usefull, thanks but I don't think I'm willing to pay about 100 euros more for them.

Right now I really do feel that the HD-600 would best for me, about them being easier to drive would be easier to drive by my current amplifier. I'm sure they will respond to a future headphone amp upgrade, am I right by assuming this? If I want to see a clear improvement over my current amplifier, how much should I be spending? I know that quality equipment costs some money so I'm willing to pony up the dough. It's an expensive hobby, or atleast it can be, but it's oh so rewarding.
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by qqbingbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will choose between the ad200 and the hd600. For hd600 its got the best price and very close perfomance to hd650(maybe just different taste), but for the ad2000, it is easier to drive and has really good sound quality, but the price is quite high compared with the others. If your budget is quite constrained, go for the600. If you will use it more often with portable rig, ad2000 is really good.

Agreed... but... the AD2000s aren't within his budget.

If they were... that would be my choice also.

Mar 30, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #22 of 23
Just to tack on my $0.02, I liked the phones you mention in the following order, most to least:

d2000 - k701 - hd600 - hd650

At the prices you quote, I think the hd600 would be your sweet spot as you've noticed yourself.

All of these are great headphones that have distinct sound signatures and you won't go wrong with any of them. It just depends on what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back