HD6 and my Headroom Desktop Maxed
Jan 12, 2011 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TheSatelliteGuy

100+ Head-Fier
     The first day they did not sound good enough to talk about, After a few days things loosened up a bit and they started to live up to their reputation, whatever that is. After the next week they had to be pulled back on power and I started really enjoying all kinds of music at a lower level. Now when I am on Hi Gain the volume would stop increasing at about 50%. Now after only 20 hours the volume can go considerably louder and sound really good. The desktop drives them well, IMO and they sound petty good.
     On my other system which has a Triode 88se integrated power and a Decware preamp, out of the headphone jack there is a very low quality sound  reproduction.  When I hooked up the cable that HiFlight made for me (Yo, Ron  that's a nice cable THANKS) out of microphone cable they took off and flew away and I have been running after them since. The volume is no problem at all. Heck I could go deaf if I wanted to. The 88se has 40 wpc and can make these headphones sing with a long way to go.. 
     My LCD2 will play all the grip with authority. I have a ALO Chain on them and I know it will take some time to hear them blossom. I only got them about a week ago. They are quite different than the HE6 now that I have gotten a chance to hear the HE 6 bangers  on Ron's speaker cable. They are like WOW. The headphone jack on the 88 never had any problem with any dynamic speaker headphone but a HE6 needed the speaker terminals to work with authority. I mean lets put it this way. If the HE6 and my Desktop work well on a standard headphone jack, it would be tuff to get that kind of power from a integrated power amps headphone jack. The Triode 88se sells for about $2400. Pretty costly headphone amp. But I can tell you that  HE6 sounds better that the speakers that were hooked to it yesterday. Have a nice day. TheSatelliteGuy

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 9
Gary, i'm not sure what you're talking about in your post, especially given your thread title. when you said hd6 did you mean the hifiman he6 planar headphone? what is the triode 88se (any links)?

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 9
^^^

From the Wild Guess Dept:

http://www.hifiatubes.com/triode-trv-35se-push-pull-el34-2-x45w-class-ab-3-year-warrnty-with-us-triode-ampli-japonnais,us,4,TRiode-TRV88SE.cfm

o

Jan 28, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 9
thanks. that could well be the amp, although that amps is liste at ~2500 euros, or ~$3400. that's $1000 more than he listed. that's solidly into Leben territory, which seems to be quite the darling around here these days.

Jan 31, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Gary, I'm not sure what you're talking about in your post, especially given your thread title. when you said hd6 did you mean the hifiman he6 planar headphone? what is the triode 88se (any links)?

Hi Dave, The amp is from Triode made in Japan. The amp is sold by Twin Audio in Ca. The 88se is a real solid performer and easily drives the HE6 from the speaker terminals. I think it retails for $2500 but I do think Santos will discount a bit. The lesser model 35se is also good but for a few dollars more the fullness and bass response of the 88se is wonderful. He is a bit hungry for business. I use my Decware preamp with it and love it. But even straight out of the dac it is stunning. I have a hearing problem as you know and the Decware has right and left controls so I balance sound with it. When I first looked into the Triode Corp my buddy Tots who has sold me a ton of equiptment demos at North American Stax said that many audiophiles in Japan by this amp just as a headphone amp but it is a integrated power amp. I actually wanted to add this to the HE6 tread but set it up as a new thred by accident and could not figure out how to change it. 

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Quote:
Gary, I'm not sure what you're talking about in your post, especially given your thread title. when you said hd6 did you mean the hifiman he6 planar headphone? what is the triode 88se (any links)?

Hi Dave, The amp is from Triode made in Japan. The amp is sold by Twin Audio in Ca. The 88se is a real solid performer and easily drives the HE6 from the speaker terminals. I think it retails for $2500 but I do think Santos will discount a bit. The lesser model 35se is also good but for a few dollars more the fullness and bass response of the 88se is wonderful. He is a bit hungry for business. I use my Decware preamp with it and love it. But even straight out of the dac it is stunning. I have a hearing problem as you know and the Decware has right and left controls so I balance sound with it. When I first looked into the Triode Corp my buddy Tots who has sold me a ton of equiptment demos at North American Stax said that many audiophiles in Japan by this amp just as a headphone amp but it is a integrated power amp. I actually wanted to add this to the HE6 tread but set it up as a new thred by accident and could not figure out how to change it. 

why not just add it there, or at least a link to your thread, anyway?
and put it in this thread too: 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529873/amps-that-can-drive-the-hifiman-he-6-planar-headphones#post_7144509

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #7 of 9
The CSP-2 headphone jack in your preamp will not give you the 40W power of the tube amp. I cant get it eiither and it wont drive my HE6. My Taboo was designed at my request with a headphone jack as if I added a second pair of speaker post. it works exactly like the speaker terminal with me taking advantage of the Taboo 6W power. It drives my HE6 easily and I have the convenience of using the stock cable with the headphone plug. Your probably getting more power which will benefit the HE6 but for people wanting to spend less bucks on a very good amp the Taboo get me there and sounds fantastic with the CSP-2 because they were designed to work well together. But for the 2100 in both pieces it works well and will work without the CSP-2 because it has a volume control. The  Virtue T amps are also from what i hear good inexpensive solution for the hE6.

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 9
Frank, is there any particular advantage or reason to pop for the Decware CSP-2, or is the Taboo by itself as good or better?

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Frank, is there any particular advantage or reason to pop for the Decware CSP-2, or is the Taboo by itself as good or better?

I only use the two piece. They were designed to work together, I tried the Taboo seperately but it is so much more dynamic with the CSP-2 preamp. You would need to use the 12AX7 higher gain tube in the Taboo and I believe you would not get the same sound as with the preamp. The Taboo was designed accorind to decware to work with a 3-4 volt source or a preamp. I use the preamp as my CD players are 2.2 volt and it works better,.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back