HD598: Your favorite Amp/DAC and Why
Feb 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

chimmycham

100+ Head-Fier
What Amp/Dac do you use with your Sennheiser HD598s?

1. Why did you choose it?

1. Compare it to others that you've tried with HD598s.

1. Why do you prefer it over others?

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
My favorite amp for the HD598 is no amp.

LOL

anyway i feel that the C-entrance DAC port is my favourite (since i can't afford anything better)
it feels the best soundstage, is the most natural and engaging.
the Ibasso D12 DAC/amp has a smaller soundstage and is a bright amp.
the Govibe Vest DAC/amp feels nice and has a big soundstage, but is not as engaging as the DAC port.
the Hippo box amp is my current amp, a real cheapo and it basically just increases soundstage, planning to daisy chain this out of another amp.
E6 is useless, only changes eq and volume, to some extent reduces the soundstage if daisychaining out of the Hippo box amp.
but everything is better than the noamp

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 10
I haven't tried tubes with them yet but I like the sound of SS for now. I have tried the 598's with my Fiio E11 and they were okay but a little bit too cold and analytical even though I like how analytical the 598 is. I found the E17 when used as an amp/DAC together was great! And paired with the E09K was even better. The sound was much fuller and bass was tighter (note, not more bass). The combo really refines the sound. I hate using them with just my laptop out. That being said, I would love to try some Schiit in the future!

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 10
I was looking into the E17 for a bit, but was told by numerous people that using an E17 with a newer Macbook Pro would be close to pointless.
I guess these Macbooks have pretty decent sound cards.
Right now I'm thinkin about either the Schiit Magni/Modi or the O2/ODAC.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
I was looking into the E17 for a bit, but was told by numerous people that using an E17 with a newer Macbook Pro would be close to pointless.
I guess these Macbooks have pretty decent sound cards.
Right now I'm thinkin about either the Schiit Magni/Modi or the O2/ODAC.

from what I have heard from others the magni/modi are great. Can't go wrong with the 02/Odac though. Both are great combos. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #10 of 10
my benalli HA540 is on they way (tube) but i had a few hour listen on it, along with a creek audio ss amp, and a nuforce courtesy of huppins. i own the E11 and think it is a wast. the nuforce i would also concider a waste with these, and then thought amps in general were a waste for the 598's. then i listened to the benalli it gave them more body, and an even smoother, airy sound. the seperation improved and they became so intamate. the creek i can tell was a good amp, gave them great imaging, better extention, were clean and crisp and made the treble shine. but i guess i just dont like the ss sound because i really didn't enjoy it much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back