HD598 vs SHP9500?
Jun 15, 2017 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TheKingOfDucks

New Head-Fier
So, soon, I'll be looking for a new set of headphones. I've only ever used Turtle Beach and Tritton, but I am very educated in the audiophile community. I know my ****, but not from personal experience. I'm currently eyeing the SHP9500s and the HD598 SE. I can get them for within the same price range, and money is not the issue here. I'll be playing games like Skyrim, Minencraft, Farcry, GTA. So, open world games. Mostly Minecraft. I like to be creative. I also listen to a variety of musical genres, but mainly music from Ludovico Einaudi. He does a lot of piano and strings, along with some digital synthesizer. I also listen to rap, mainly Eminem. All of his stuff. Some folk music, Gregory Alan Isakov, classic rock, Mumford and sons, Matthew Good, lots of 70s stuff, and a couple others. I'm leaning towards the 598s, because everyone loves them, whereas the SHPs have very mixed reviews. I like a natural but fun sound. Any help will be appreciated. I will also be recording my own piano music

Jun 15, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 6
I agree with you. The 598 will be more flexible and versatile for gaming and music and will likely sound better for music. It is particularly good for piano and strings/orchestral/Einaudi type stuff (I own one). The SHP9500 is good. I just think the 598 is just a wee bit better.

Jun 15, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 6
Both are pretty good headphones, but if you're looking for relatively cheap open-back headphones, get the Beyerdyamic DT990. No headphones is perfect, but for the price the 990s are hard to beat. Just make sure to get a low impedance model (like 32 ohms) if you don't have a dedicated amp.

Jun 17, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 6
Never heard SHP9500, but 598 is musical and fun (just not much low bass). Great for classic rock and classical, pretty good for hip-hop. I don't game, but many do, and love them for gaming.

Jun 18, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 6
+1 for the 598, I use them for gaming and they're wonderful. They sound very open and natural!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back