HD598 VS HD650 soundstage
Feb 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #16 of 64
Quote:

popcorn.gif

Haven't had a chance to listen to an ortho, so im curious on how you guys rate the HE400 soundstage. (he said that probably cause of the bulky magnets in the air cavity)
*joins in audience*

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #17 of 64
I was going to buy an HD650 recently and I've auditioned them two separate times for a while at audio stores. Honestly, I thought the HD598 has a much wider soundstage and like people have said, it is brighter. The 650 seemed far too dark to me and maybe even a little congested. I don't remember what amps they were but both times they were pretty complicated setups so I assume it was at least decently amped. The first time listening to Hotel California on Hell Freezes Over was mind blowing to me, and the imaging is probably superior to the 598's to my ears. But I like the airiness of the 598 over the 650's darker warmth for my music. I listen to a lot of alternative stuff like Coldplay, Keane, The Killers, U2, Keane, etc. as well as a ton of other genres and music, live and studio stuff.

I would follow the suggestions and go with something different like the HE-400 as people said. It should have that soundstage as well as extra punch for gaming. I haven't tried them yet but I was seriously considering the HD650's and HE-400's recently and I'm still leaning towards the 400 despite not having tried them yet.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #18 of 64
HD 598 have been my go to headphone for a year. HD 650 is coming in the mail today. I've also got an order in for an Asgard 2, so I'm going to reserve judgement on the 650 until I get that.

OP, if its soundstage you're looking for, the AKG Q701 is incredible from that standpoint. It lacks the bass I want and, at least with my current amping solutions, the vocals seem a little recessed. But for soundstage and acoustic/classical music, it is very good. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #19 of 64
Quote:
HD 598 have been my go to headphone for a year. HD 650 is coming in the mail today. I've also got an order in for an Asgard 2, so I'm going to reserve judgement on the 650 until I get that.

OP, if its soundstage you're looking for, the AKG Q701 is incredible from that standpoint. It lacks the bass I want and, at least with my current amping solutions, the vocals seem a little recessed. But for soundstage and acoustic/classical music, it is very good. 

Hey Shinndigg, i'd be interested to see your in-depth review of your new 650 vs your current 598. consider you currently have the 598 as well. i am not going to go with the AKG701 route because 598 is about as bright and forward as i want to go. i have a very sensitive hearing, and the 598 is about as bright as i would like. i am looking for a warmer can for my next upgrade to compliment my 598. hence the 650. i am just really mostly curious on the soundstage, how much soundstage will i sacrifice. 

let me know. :)

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #20 of 64
Quote:
no i already have the 598. i am just itching to upgrade. it'll either be a tube amp or another headphone. i've always heard great things about 650, so i thought maybe it's the right time. i do admit that i love the look of 598 a lot. i am just a little wary since people in the past have stated 650's soundstage isn't as big as 598. i guess i'll just have to try and find out. 

a Benalli HA540 sounds amazing with both the 598's and the 650's it is a tube amp and is a real diff. if anything get that then the 650's once your ready for another upgrade. anyone know how tubes sound with orthos? looking at possably the he400's as a later upgrade.

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #21 of 64
sorry to revive an old thread guys. 

but does Planar (ortho) generally have a better and wider soundstage than Dynamic phones?

cause now i am looking into HE400 as well as the HD650. but i don't really know too much about Planars. 

and is there any big difference between HE500 and HE400. based on the frequency response graph, there's a pretty big difference, but anyone have experience with both? does HE500 have wider soundstage? narrower? 

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #23 of 64
thanks for the quick straight response. so if comparing HE400 vs HD598 strictly speaking in just soundstage, which one has a wider and more accurate soundstage. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #24 of 64
If you are basing it purely on soundstage, They are exactly the same. No headphone really beats another in stage buy a huge margin.

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #25 of 64
thanks for the quick straight response. so if comparing HE400 vs HD598 strictly speaking in just soundstage, which one has a wider and more accurate soundstage. 
Again these are headphones not speakers, Go with which ever sounds best to you. If you want to experience stage and the game or track has been recorded to give you a sense of depth you will hear it.

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #26 of 64
If you are basing it purely on soundstage, They are exactly the same. No headphone really beats another in stage but a huge margin.

This is quite wrong. There are indeed massive differences in soundstage presentation with various headphones.

Planar headphones tend to have a somewhat wide stage, but very shallow and with poor center imaging. Dynamics can run the gamut on presentation, but the better ones like the HD800 have an exceptionally wide stage but also great depth to allow proper layering and center imaging.

Oct 2, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #27 of 64
This is quite wrong. There are indeed massive differences in soundstage presentation with various headphones.

Planar headphones tend to have a somewhat wide stage, but very shallow and with poor center imaging. Dynamics can run the gamut on presentation, but the better ones like the HD800 have an exceptionally wide stage but also great depth to allow proper layering and center imaging.

I disagree, The HD800 sound no different to any other  open headphone I have tried when it comes to distance. I own the Mad dog and they are close to my K701/K702 in terms of stage. These are, not speakers, Sound stage is dependent on the recording. I have never heard a soundstage that fill ups a room nor have I heard one that is more than 3 inches from my ear. Some headphones sound thinner and more airy than others which can give a little more sense of distance but nothing like the real thing.

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #28 of 64
I'm sorry you can't hear it, but it is there, plain as day. Your answer is typical of someone who thinks speaker rigs are real audio and headphones are just trinkets, which judging from your inventory, isn't far from the mark.

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #29 of 64
I'm sorry you can't hear it, but it is there, plain as day. Your answer is typical of someone who thinks speaker rigs are real audio and headphones are just trinkets, which judging from your inventory, isn't far from the mark.

lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back