HD598 versus AKG K240?
Aug 8, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 4
Well, I heard the K240s recently, as well as had them once. They are nicely open, pretty clear, but a little shrill and artificial, as well as bass-light, clinical and dull. Although comparatively light, they clamp a bit tight (and it isn't that simple to loosen the clamping force) and are hard on the ears and the top of the head with almost non-existent cushioning. They're rugged, they feel utilitarian and military-like, and are the dreaded "self-adjusting" type.

I've heard similar Senns, as well as compared the K240 to the HD555, and considering the HD598 is supposed to be the cream of the crop of the affordable Sennheiser range, between those two I think there should be no contest. K240 is a studio can whose time has passed.

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 4
Owner of both present. EDM and very percussive music, go with the K240's. Jazz and very airy instrumental and vocal music, Sennheisers. I find myself going to my Sennheisers 75% of the time as is.

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 4
I purchased 2 pairs of older AKG K240 Monitors 600 Ohm (Made in Austria) 2 weeks ago. Never cared for the new Classic 55 Ohm Chinese versions. The shop I purchased these from happened to have a set of HD598 SE of which I A/B compared. The Sennheisers are more refined with better bass. The K240 M are a bit brighter. I find the K240 M to have forward mids, which can be nice with the right music. The AKG K240 Monitors can be had for cheap on eBay (sub $50). The 600 Ohm versions are very hard to drive, basically maxed on my Audio GD NFB12. My Grace m9xx won't play them loud enough. If you must go with the Sennheisers and you have a decent headphone amp, I would recommend the HD600 or HD650. The HD598 SE will play at comfortable volume on portable devices, the HD6x0 needs a headphone amp as they are 300 Ohm drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back