HD598 or Massdrop AKG K7XX
Dec 23, 2016 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Admixues

New Head-Fier
hey i have been looking to replace my astro A50 with some real headphones, and after a lot of searching i narrowed it down to either the HD598 or the Massdrop K7XX with a schiit stack, i considered the DT990 & the AD 900X , but im sensitive to the higher frequencies so the DT990 is not for me and the AD 900X probably wont fit on my small head.

i have a maximum budget of 500USD but i'd like not to break the bank, ill be using them mainly for competitive gaming and music listening, i listen to pretty much everything except for jazz so a natrual sounding headphones with punchy bass and a good sound stage will be best for me, the A50s have that muddy Bass rumble you get with ''gaming'' headsets but from my understanding that just creeps up on the other frequencies in the spectrum, so if i have to let it go so be it, im not bass head. 

im going to be using them on both my console and pc, so im most likely getting the schiit stack Modi/magni 2 Uber, using optical for console and USB for PC, for chat audio i can always get a modmic or a USB mic so that's not an issue. 

i don't have access to either of these headphones so im having a hard time deciding between them.

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 9
I would recommend a stronger amp than Magni 2 for the AKG K7XX.

On paper it should have no issues,but AKG K7XX is one of those headphones that likes a bit more juice than what is said in the specs.

I owned that combo previously and it def made them loud enough,but it didnt control the bottom end well enough for me.

Tons of people have that combo and many will dispute what im saying,but trying more powerful amps within my system,the bass cleaned up real nice....and its hard to unhear what youve already heard.

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 9
Im not an expert on amps but if you have a 500.00 budget Id personally go for The Jot,that way not only will it more than enough for your AKGs but will most likely drive anything you might want to get further down the road.

EDIT: If the Jotunheim is too much $,I would look into the Asgaard

EDIT 2: another combo you might wanna look at is the Magni 2 + HE-400i,which is currently on sale for 249.00 I believe...heckuva deal.

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #9 of 9
  at 370G the HE400i aren't comfortable enough for me tbh, the AKG seems like my best option

I will admit the 7XXs are quite cozy to wear...just get a stronger amp than Magni 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back