HD598??? Gaming
Dec 2, 2012 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

newamf

New Head-Fier
First of all I want to introduce myself. 
SKIP MY PRESENTATION IF YOU WANT :)
I am Andres Marengo from Ecuador, I'm 16 years old and I'm getting very interested about audio. My favorite hobbies are listening to music and gaming.
First time I got on head-fi.org was some weeks ago searching about the very hated beats by dre (THANKS TO GOD I FOUND THIS FORUM)
and now that I have some money I want your help. Previously I had only owned $50 SONY on ears PIIQ and NC7.

TOPIC
I like the HD598 for music but now that i was looking some gaming forums they prefer these over every gaming headsets. Now I have three questions:

1.What amp should I get?
They talk only about astro mixamp but I want to know if there are better and cheaper amps than this one. I' m looking an amp for gaming purposes but if goes 
with music it's welcome. Amp budget $ 100-150.

2.Is 7.1 Virtual Surround capable? Can any headphone simule 7.1?
Almost every gaming headset is 7.1 virtual Surround and a few are 5.1 real but they don't have excellent reviews. And forums say HD598 are better.

3. Do you think 5.1 True Surround headsets sound good?
Because Surround is suposed to be on your house or cinema and a headset is very close to the ear.

PS: I've heard about attachable mics, can you recommend me a good one?

Thanks.

Oh, also I like alternative rock music (punk mainly), some U2 and Coldpaly (light) music style, AC/DC, G'N'R ,Queen, some modern radio music too (trendys)

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 3
Welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet in advance :) There is a comprehensive guide for headphone gaming called Mad Lust Envy's guide. A quick google search will find it.

I recall reading somewhere that many Halo 2 competitive gamers used the HD598 years back with a clip on mic. If I'm not wrong, the Sennheiser PC360 gaming headset uses the same drivers as the HD598, but comes with a microphone for gaming. They can be had for about 200+ USD on amazon right now I think.

They are considered by many to be the best sounding gaming headset you can get now. As for clip on mics, I've never used one before but the guide has a section on them.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-11-12-12-sennheiser-hd650-added

Users who are viewing this thread

Back