HD598 and onboard soundcard Asus Maximus VIII Ranger
Sep 18, 2016 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TheJackalX

New Head-Fier
Hi guys! I'm new here and need a little help.

I have a ADH-700x for a few months and his lack of bass let me sad, so I'm planning buy an Sennheiser HD598 to use in gaming and music. My doubt is, I need a sound card to get better results with HD598 or my oboard SupremeFX from Asus Maximus VIII Ranger is enough?

Thanks in advance!

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 5
  Hi guys! I'm new here and need a little help.

I have a ADH-700x for a few months and his lack of bass let me sad, so I'm planning buy an Sennheiser HD598 to use in gaming and music. My doubt is, I need a sound card to get better results with HD598 or my on-board SupremeFX from Asus Maximus VIII Ranger is enough?

Thanks in advance!

Your motherboard's on-board audio comes with an add-on ESS 9023 DAC chip.
So i'm guessing you can hold off adding a sound card (or external DAC/amp) for when your looking to spend serious money, well over $100 (or over $150?), for a sound card or DAC/amp.
If your big on FPS gaming, then maybe get the Sound Blaster Z sound card (used $60?)

Might consider getting Soundmagic HP200 headphones, as they have more bass, then the HD598.
Just keep using the ATH-AD700X for FPS gaming.

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi PurpleAngel! 

I was thinking in HD598 'cause I used one for some days (borrowed from a friend) and I liked his sound. I don't wanna a lot of bass, just a little more than ADH-700x because it apears that have no bass. I had an HD518 but I sold 'cause I think he has so much bass and sounds muffled, but I keep an spare cable with P2 connector that I'm planning to use in HD598.

If I want spend about 100 USD, Sound Blaster Z is a great upgrade comparing my onboard sound? Is difference noticiable?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 5
  Hi PurpleAngel! 
I was thinking in HD598 'cause I used one for some days (borrowed from a friend) and I liked his sound. I don't wanna a lot of bass, just a little more than ADH-700x because it appears that have no bass. I had an HD518 but I sold 'cause I think he has so much bass and sounds muffled, but I keep an spare cable with P2 connector that I'm planning to use in HD598.
If I want spend about 100 USD, Sound Blaster Z is a great upgrade comparing my onboard sound? Is difference noticiable?

The HD598 should at least offer a little more bass then the AD700X.

The CS4398 DAC chip used in the SB-Z card does have a higher SNR, then the ESS 9023 DAC chip.
Just not sure how much of a noticeable difference (improvement) the SB-Z would be.

Not seen any comparisons, between the ESS 9023, used on a motherboard and add-on sound cards.

Here is a used SB-Z card, for $57.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172346004646?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back