HD598 Amp
Jan 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

seunghoyoum

New Head-Fier
Hi, I just ordered the HD598 on amazon and it's coming soon. And I'm a very inexperienced person with these audiophile-facts or anything like that. But I heard that good headphones need amps. Do you think mine needs one too?

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 5
Yes. Having owned a pair of HD515s, the biggest regret I had for them was that I could only enjoy them at home where I had a stereo receiver that could drive them. Portable players and receivers without much headphone output power will not do them justice in my experience.

I now own a pair of HD598s and use a FiiO E7 to drive them. It really depends on whether you'll be using them with smaller equipment (for which I'd recommend an amp of some variety) or stereo equipment that may be able to drive them alone.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Hi, I just ordered the HD598 on amazon and it's coming soon. And I'm a very inexperienced person with these audiophile-facts or anything like that. But I heard that good headphones need amps. Do you think mine needs one too?

Sennheiser HD-598 (50-Ohm) are not as demanding for driving/powering as some other $170 headphones.
So should work decently without a headphone amplifier, but a headphone amplifier would bring out their best.
What are you going to be plugging the HD-598s in to?
A portable headphone amplifier like the Fiio E11 would be fine for being on the move.

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Yes. Having owned a pair of HD515s, the biggest regret I had for them was that I could only enjoy them at home where I had a stereo receiver that could drive them. Portable players and receivers without much headphone output power will not do them justice in my experience.

I now own a pair of HD598s and use a FiiO E7 to drive them. It really depends on whether you'll be using them with smaller equipment (for which I'd recommend an amp of some variety) or stereo equipment that may be able to drive them alone.

Thank you! I thought about getting a FiiO as well. I got the HD598's listened to them now, they are solid and nice, but I can definitely see room for improvement. In what degree could you say the SQ will enhance when you cnnect it with an amp?

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Sennheiser HD-598 (50-Ohm) are not as demanding for driving/powering as some other $170 headphones.
So should work decently without a headphone amplifier, but a headphone amplifier would bring out their best.
What are you going to be plugging the HD-598s in to?
A portable headphone amplifier like the Fiio E11 would be fine for being on the move.

I'm going to plug them in to my computer or MP3. Never gonna use them outside

Users who are viewing this thread

Back