HD595s, crackling?
Dec 27, 2006 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Lollan

Head-Fier
Playing music, I've started getting a crackling or "static-ey" type sound on higher ranges of music, could my cable be going out possibly? I don't play these loudly by any means, but I have accidently rolled over the cable a few times with my chair. I do not have an amp, just running through the breakout box for my X-Fi Platinum atm.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 28
Did you open them up and inspect for a hair touching the driver; This is very common and should be done first. Use bright light to inspect for hair. Even if you don't see any blow it out with air pressure. Very common symptom and fix!

Good luck~

Dec 27, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you open them up and inspect for a hair touching the driver; This is very common and should be done first. Use bright light to inspect for hair. Even if you don't see any blow it out with air pressure. Very common symptom and fix!

Good luck~

How common is that on the HD595? I wouldn't think it would be, since the 595 has so much mesh to block out hair. I would first check out the sound card settings. You could be getting clipping with some EQ setting. Make sure your settings are set to a headphone config.....make sure your equalizer is set to 0s.

Dec 27, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 28
Seems to me to be a simple thing to check for in the process of elimination of any phone which wasn't distorting previously... But hey, you're the Senns guy, it must be something else... lol

Dec 27, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Seems to me to be a simple thing to check for in the process of elimination of any phone which wasn't distorting previously... But hey, you're the Senns guy, it must be something else... lol

That's right, I'm the Senns fanboy
biggrin.gif
EQ settings are the easiest things to try on the 595. You never know with pesky PCs if sound card settings changed with some driver update or whatever. To get to the driver, you have to get out the screw driver!
icon10.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's right, I'm the Senns fanboy
biggrin.gif
EQ settings are the easiest things to try on the 595. You never know with pesky PCs if sound card settings changed with some driver update or whatever. To get to the driver, you have to get out the screw driver!
icon10.gif

A screw driver to take the pads off on a 595? WOW, I took the pads off my 580s and 650s without a tool; But there you go, learn something every day on Head-Fi
wink.gif

Another thing as to why you can rave about the 595s is the specific amp you are driving them with and its specific tube . i am sure others without a Singlepower providing vthe voltage and current it does will be hearing the 595 quite a bit different Dave. FWIW
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Another thing as to why you can rave about the 595s is the specific amp you are driving them with and its specific tube . i am sure others without a Singlepower providing vthe voltage and current it does will be hearing the 595 quite a bit different Dave. FWIW
wink.gif

He has a good point about the amp Dave.
icon10.gif

I also think it is wise to check for debris in the driver first. Everytime I have had driver distortion, if the problem wasnt actually the driver, it was a hair or lint.

Dec 27, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also think it is wise to check for debris in the driver first. Everytime I have had driver distortion, if the problem wasnt actually the driver, it was a hair or lint.

OK, OK guys
eggosmile.gif
Hair on driver can be a possibility. But whenever I see soundcard as source, I always think EQing. At least that's always been the culprit for me with all my Senns
600smile.gif
eggosmile.gif
So check the soundcard settings first, then pop out the earpads.....get out the screw driver and open up the casing to blow around the driver.

Dec 27, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 28
How about an update Lollan on your first post....

welcome-

Dec 27, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #10 of 28
I apologize for the delay, I will look into checking the driver, this will be the first time removing it in the year I've owned them! :O I'm kind of worried about breaking something, is there a guide or anything I could reference?

But I can confirm that EQ effects are off and im noticing the "crackling" at lower sounds now even. I do have long-ish hair though, so I suppose that's my best bet at the moment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lollan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But I can confirm that EQ effects are off and im noticing the "crackling" at lower sounds now even. I do have long-ish hair though, so I suppose that's my best bet at the moment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you have another source to double check with? Just a cd player or mp3 player? I'd do that first before trying to fool with the headphone's driver. It is more complicated then the HD580/600/650. The 580 line of Senns is really prone to hair I've found.....they use a soft foam material that just seems to be a hair magnet. But the HD595 uses a dense fiberous mesh that's harder for hair to go through.

But if we can eliminate the source as being the culprit, then opening the enclosure is the next thing to do. Now this crackling is happening with both drivers? If so, it might be something on the left driver. First pop off the ear pad. Next you'll notice the mesh covering the driver enclosure. You can pop that off with your nail. You'll then see 4 screws that you'll have to unscrew. You can then seperate the driver casing from the rest of the enclosure. Check to make sure the main stereo cable is hooked up alright, and just lightly blow on the back and front of the driver. Close her up again and see if that's done anything. If there's still crackling, then it could be the cord
blink.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have another source to double check with? Just a cd player or mp3 player? I'd do that first before trying to fool with the headphone's driver. It is more complicated then the HD580/600/650. The 580 line of Senns is really prone to hair I've found.....they use a soft foam material that just seems to be a hair magnet. But the HD595 uses a dense fiberous mesh that's harder for hair to go through.

But if we can eliminate the source as being the culprit, then opening the enclosure is the next thing to do. Now this crackling is happening with both drivers? If so, it might be something on the left driver. First pop off the ear pad. Next you'll notice the mesh covering the driver enclosure. You can pop that off with your nail. You'll then see 4 screws that you'll have to unscrew. You can then seperate the driver casing from the rest of the enclosure. Check to make sure the main stereo cable is hooked up alright, and just lightly blow on the back and front of the driver. Close her up again and see if that's done anything. If there's still crackling, then it could be the cord
blink.gif

I will get back to you at work tomorrow, pulling a long shift after we close, so the Zen + 595s will get a fair test period.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #13 of 28
I played with my settings some more, apparently the audio DVD I was listening to (DTS) didn't like CMSS-3D. I disabled it and after leaving it disabled have come to the conclusion I much prefer having it off anyways!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lollan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I played with my settings some more, apparently the audio DVD I was listening to (DTS) didn't like CMSS-3D. I disabled it and after leaving it disabled have come to the conclusion I much prefer having it off anyways!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh oh .... Davesrose was right. We stand corrected.
redface.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #15 of 28
yep, cause we know the HD595 is always infalllible!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
Creative's DSPs are always wonky like that. Your DVD player software probably has Dolby Headphone or SRS Headphone Lollan. Give those a try over the CMSS-3D. They're pretty good for action movies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back