HD595 vs. SR225
Sep 22, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #17 of 45
595's are really comfy.

Half the reason I put them on is because they feel good on my head. Kinda wierd, but true.

They are supurb for games and music.

Sep 22, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomH
The longer I own both, the more I prefer the 595 sound-wise to the 225. Ergonomics are no contest from the get-go. I still appreciate the 225 for its brilliant speed and punch, but it gets a lot less use than the 595. IMHO, the 595s are quite extraordinary at their price point and if I had to choose only one set of cans, it would be either the AKG 701s or the 595s for all-around home use. That said, I could never own just one and love them all for their individual quirky goodness. This really is a golden age for headphone listening.

Cheers,

Tom

So be it - thanks to you, my next purchase will be that planned new HD595, and NOT another amp.
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 12:05 PM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
So be it - thanks to you, my next purchase will be that planned new HD595, and NOT another amp.
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #22 of 45
That's it. I'm ordering a pair of 595s.

Sep 22, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
That's it. I'm ordering a pair of 595s.

Good for you!!

I'll probably get a pair of HD650s to complement my new MS2i as well!

Nothing wrong with a stable having two breeds!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
Good for you!!

I'll probably get a pair of HD650s to complement my new MS2i as well!

Nothing wrong with a stable having two breeds!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully this new breed won't be full of defects.
280smile.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #27 of 45
I just thought of something... gimme your thoughts on this:

what if i stuck with my HD515's for gaming and then went ahead with the Grado 225's for music and just switch them out depending on what im doing...

yes? no? maybe so?

Oh and I just got a whopper of a paycheck today... im thinking of maybe expanding my budget to $300... maybe...

I could possibly also use that extra $100 budget to get a cheap little amp along with the cans...

Although whatever I get, im ordering tonight so...
confused.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #28 of 45
Yes; Yes! Deffinetly yup!

The thing that amazed me shortly after I began frequenting these haunts, was just how many folks had just how many sets of cans for just how many different purposes! Some of these guys collections are mind boggling!!

Yessir! Sounds like a good idea to me!
smily_headphones1.gif
Multiple cans for multiple purposes!

Sep 22, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #29 of 45
yea, theoretically if i were to get the 225's and cheap $100 amp, the 515's would also slightly improve in quality, at least long enough for me to get some better gaming phones... HD595/600, A900 or whatever...

another question: which would sound better? SR225 w/ $100 amp or SR325i?

Sep 22, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #30 of 45
What exactly do you mean by liking your music "bright and warm?" The two terms are pretty much polar opposites - "warm" implies a tonal balance that is shifted towards the bass, with a soft(er) treble, while "bright" implies treble emphasis. The HD595 is certainly on the warm side of the equation. I haven't heard the SR225 in a long time, so I won't comment.

I don't think Grados would be useless for gaming, but they certainly aren't as good as something with much more soundstage, like the Beyer DT770. I don't have any experience with the HD515, but for gaming specifically I would recommend the DT770. I wouldn't recommend it for rock, though - too much bass and a rather shrill treble. They're great for electronica and anything that's very bass-heavy; not so great for anything where midrange (voices and electric guitar) are important.

Just to complicate things even further, for $300 you can get the Stax SR-001 Mk II system. It's an electrostat, so it won't have the impact of the SR-225, but it will have a midrange that few headphones can touch, combined with speed and detail that's to die for. It's not really all that comfortable, but as an electrostat with an amp already included for $239, + some spare change for an AC adapter, you can't really go wrong.

very_evil_smiley.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back