HD595 vs. HD580?
Jan 3, 2006 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

b-sides

100+ Head-Fier
i guess the title is pretty self explanatory. which do you guys prefer and why? either will be driven out of an ipod, prob unamped at first but i will probably be getting a govibe. i know the 595 will prob sound better without an amp.

also, considering my source, how much improvement will i get over my 497s?

Jan 3, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 4
The 595 and 580 have totally different sound signatures; you'd have to listen to each to decide which you prefer. The 580s are amazing phones in that you can purchase them now, they'll still sound great (and notably better than your 497s) unamped, and yet there's so much room to improve the sound later on with amplifaction and an upgraded source, plus options in the way of cables, grills, etc. if you're into that stuff. They're probably scale the best of any phones I've found so far.

Jan 3, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides
i guess the title is pretty self explanatory. which do you guys prefer and why? either will be driven out of an ipod, prob unamped at first but i will probably be getting a govibe. i know the 595 will prob sound better without an amp.

also, considering my source, how much improvement will i get over my 497s?

I'd get the amp first - govibe is a good choice. I heard a nice improvement in punchiness and separation when I added an amp to my HD 497. Then go for the 580 after that, for a combo which wil sound quite excellent. I'm not sure about the 595, but I thought my 600 was a huge improvement over the 497 - easily worth the price difference between the two. 580 should be an even better value.

An unamped 580/600 is like a warm, stale, flat beer. It'll do the job (get you drunk/play music), but you won't like it very much. There's really no point buying it before you get your amp, unless you like your headphones sitting in the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back