HD595 Upgrade
Apr 29, 2012 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

i4mt3hwin

New Head-Fier
I originally posted this in the recommendation thread from a different part of the forum, but they recommended me to come here and ask, so:

I currently own a pair of Denon 2000's and HD595s. I originally bought the Denon's after I got some recommendations for listening to metal music (i mostly listen to progressive) regardless, I found the 595's much, much better for listening to the wide variety of music I listen too, but mainly my progressive metal liking. Anyway, recently I dropped my 595's which resulted in them getting damaged. They still work but whenever there is any bass there is some rattling which gets distracting.

I'm looking to upgrade and I have about $1000 to do so. I run my headphones off a EssenceSTX with OPA627 opamps. I guess the headphone amp on that means I can drive a wide variety of headphones with no problem. I've been looking at the HD800s (I know outside the $1000 price) but I'd be willing to spend a little extra if they can give me that same 595 type sound. So basically my question is, does the HD800's have a similar sound to the 595's? I haven't really found any direct comparisons between the two, but most people say the 800's wide soundstage and sound very airy, I guess this would describe the 595's as well, although I'm sure the 800's are way better. The 700's are also an option I guess as early reviews paint them similar to the 800's only with a thicker sound, which actually may be better for metal listening. But does anyone have any other options at this price range that might sound better? Again I really like the sound from the 595's, but I have the extra money so if there are better options with similar sound I'd like to upgrade to that.

Thanks

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 2
No need to stick with Sennheiser.  I have 598s and I'm looking to upgrade to LCD-2s.

HD800 is in direct competition with T1 / LCD2... Except Sennheiser thinks they're worth $500 more (or at least they realized people were willing to pay that, worth it or not).  I'm not saying they're bad, but I heard they were originally going to be $600 - 700 to be one class about the then-current flagship hd650 with a $500 MSRP (now enforced).  People were willing to pay $1.5k so now they make the 700 to fit the $1000 class.  The first design of it was too good, in fact, the release is delayed because they're reworking it so as not to compete with the hd800.  In other words, Sennheiser is an overpriced luxury brand that thinks a lot of their reputation and want to take advantage of it.  The hd800 is their only set actually made in Germany still!

If you like them, go for it, but be make sure to look up their other competition first.  IMO you'd be better off going with one of the $500 cheaper competitors if you want to jump up to that price range.  You just have to ask yourself if the 800 are really with $500 more than the T1 / LCD2 etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back