HD595 + StarQuad impressions?
Dec 13, 2005 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Trigeek

New Head-Fier
Hello,
Bought a pair of HD 595's about 3 weeks ago and have burned them in about 60 hours or so. I recently shortened the cable to about 1/2 of it's original length attaching a right angle Neutrik mini connector. Also removed the snap on grills that are on the inside of the headphone. So far so good...liking the sound... I am now considering replacing the stock cable all together, removing all of the clips along the way... solder the cable directly to the drivers. I have on hand some StarQuad cable and am wondering if anyone out there has used this cable for a replacement, especially for the 595 (although any info is appreciated). Your impressions? Anything I should be aware of before I open up these cans? Am using the StarQuad for the interconnect and like the sound.

My setup is the iPod 5G >> Star Quad wired line out >> Ray Samuels SR-71 amp >> HD595. All of my recordings are using LAME 3.97b in "extreme" mode.

Thanks!

Dec 13, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 5
Hey Trigeek,

Check out this thread:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=140533

As far as I know, noone (except for HeadRoom) has really done a cable upgrade on their 595's. Don't forget you'll have to take apart the headband and change that cable as well. Let us know if you get around to swapping cables!

EDIT: Oh ya.. forgot to mention: Careful when you open up your 595's. The three little screws can VERY easily fall into the little hole where the driver sits. Be extra careful!

Dec 14, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 5
Just finished changing out the cable. Was not the easiest upgrade, hardest part was feeding the right channel wires thru the headband. This required drilling a small brass pivot (where the left and right sections of the headphone pivot at the headband) out a bit to give more clearance to the starquad wires.

Initial listen seems to apear a bit smoother, maybe a tad less detailed. Going to let them burn in for about 50 hours. See what happens.

On the down-side... headphones have a little downward tug to them... doh
blink.gif
... didn't think about that when I started... I will put a clip on the cable to attach to my belt and take the strain off... something to consider next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back