HD595 or HD600???
Feb 13, 2005 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AficionadoZone

New Head-Fier
It seems that both of these can be had for between $179-$199 lately. Any opinon on what would be the better deal? CAn the 595's be driven w/o an amp? I like the look of the 595's better, but the 600's seem like they might be a lot higher quality.

Thanks,
Robert

Feb 13, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 12
Depens on your preferences. There have been a few active threads on this subject lately, but the short version is that I like the sound of the HD595 better, myself. Some people will agree, some will disagree. Such is the nature of things around here.
smily_headphones1.gif

The HD595 does do very well unampd most of the time (though even an inexpensive amp can improve things further if you choose to get one, especially in the areas of bass response, detail, and soundstage). You WILL need a good amp if you want to get remotely close to the full potential of the HD600.

Feb 13, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 12
There's a recent thread for a more detailed comparison, in short imo:

595: better midrange, neutral=less fatiguing, need no amp (even at 120 ohm)
600: slightly sharp treble, more bass punch, 'stronger' headband

In any case they're both good phones and the SQ difference are not that big. I preferred 595 myself but that was at $75 difference or 41% more dinero. I'm not sure I can resist the whole package over slight SQ improvement for $20 more since I really like 600's look and headband ... after all we're just human.
wink.gif

600smile.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 9:51 AM Post #4 of 12
HD595 is undoubtedly
evil_smiley.gif
the more musical of the two.
redface.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 12
you'll simply have to listen to them and decide for yourself. if possible, buy both from a place that has a good return policy and keep the set you like. the 600's benefit from an amp a lot more than the 595's, but you will still want an amp to get the best possible sound out of the 595's.

Feb 13, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by AficionadoZone
It seems that both of these can be had for between $179-$199 lately. Any opinon on what would be the better deal? CAn the 595's be driven w/o an amp? I like the look of the 595's better, but the 600's seem like they might be a lot higher quality.

I own the 595s and the 650s. They're both great at what they do.
The 595s are definitely better without an amp. I feel they're much better for gaming and movies. They're just more versatile.
But when I want that "wow" factor, I grab the 650s, they're not for everything, but for some things they're incredible.
IMO, the 600s are the better deal, they'll scale better and take you farther than the 595s. But you may just flat out prefer the 595s sounds. Audition them both and make your choice. You can't go wrong with either one of them. However, if you're not planning on getting an amp, go with the 595s. That's a no-brainer.

Feb 14, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
I own the 595s and the 650s. They're both great at what they do.
The 595s are definitely better without an amp. I feel they're much better for gaming and movies. They're just more versatile.
But when I want that "wow" factor, I grab the 650s, they're not for everything, but for some things they're incredible.
IMO, the 600s are the better deal, they'll scale better and take you farther than the 595s. But you may just flat out prefer the 595s sounds. Audition them both and make your choice. You can't go wrong with either one of them. However, if you're not planning on getting an amp, go with the 595s. That's a no-brainer.

Huh??? What do you mean?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Did I waste money on my Muscial Fidelity then
600smile.gif

I have not heard heard HD 600, 650 or 580 but the the HD 595 tends to emphasis shril highs and its a bit bright. It can get grainy sometimes especially with male voices. The bass is good enough for me. Other then that, its very musical and suited best for classical, percussion and electronica. The sound stage is excellent if not very wide. Its not a very forgiving headphone and can sound flat with some materials (REGARDLESS of genre)

Feb 14, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
I believe he meant 595 will fare better without an amp, relative to 650.

No. No. He meant WITHOUT an amp at all.

I tried without a source and it is even better. No grainy sound at all!
biggrin.gif

They are not very musical this way, though
frown.gif

PS: I'll try next time without the cable too.
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 12
HD595s or HD600s? I'd go for the 600s. I had the 595s and the 580s and I liked the 580s better. LOTS better. A lot of folks around here love the 595s and that's fine. I like them too. I just prefer the sound of the 580/600/650. It's strictly personal preference so by all means AUDITION BOTH MODELS BEFORE PURCHASING. Agian, do not let yourself be lead by everyone's own personal opinion. It is, after all, your money and your time that will be spent listening to them. My only advise is to get the model that will you happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back