HD595 or HD600 both ampless?
Dec 12, 2009 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Nerd123

New Head-Fier
I'm kinda curious about this one. Of course many people say HD600 really requires an amp and a HD595 can be used finely without one but I've also read posts here that some state even unamped the HD600 is still better than the 595's. Is this true?

The price difference for me is not that much of a big deal. I realise I will not get the full potential if getting the HD600's without an amp but would they still sound better than the 595's if run from an mp3 player? And would that mean I really would have to max my volume to get decent sound? Because some say the HD600's are near silent when plugged into an mp3 player unamped??

Dec 12, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 21
Even with HD595 you need an external amp and the type of external amp is important. I own a HD595 and initially I use a relatively cheap Cmoy powered from a 9V battery, sounded fine not impressive or revealing. I then bought a cheap Class A hybrid amp for about $50 incl. postage. It transported/transformed this headphone to another level. The reason being the impedance of HD595 or even HD600 is quite low you really need a Class A or hig quality Class A/B amp, to drive them effectively.

There are 2 types of hybrid amp(both are of the same design) you can get them from Ebay,the brands are Indeed or Bravo, just do a search. I own 2 units of Indeed amp.

Cheers, enjoy. Hope this helps.

Dec 12, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 21
thx for the informations! im getting the same stuff
14.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 21
Honestly i dont know about the HD600's but i own a pair of HD 580's which i hear have similar drivers.

without an amp i was sitting there going "whats the big deal" then i bought a marantz amp for about £100 (nothing special just bog standard but i ran out of money haha) and my god the difference was PHENOMENAL.

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 21
Well I really am not planning to buy an amp. Maybe in the future but that's not soon. I'm just wondering if the HD600, with all the limitations it has unamped, will still sound better than the HD595.

I guess even unamped the HD595's should be a big step up from what I'm used to. And that's Sony EX082 buds.^^ But if the HD600's are even moderately better, I might pick that one up.

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 21
I've heard HD650's unamped and they sounded "ok". I've also heard 595's unamped and sonically I can't recall that large of a difference between them unamped. Both were fairly neutral. Amped mind you, the 650's do really start to show their muscle. I think if the price isn't an issue, get the 600's. That way, if you do get an amp in the future, the difference in sound will be much more apparent
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 21
So does that mean I probably won't have to max the volume to hear something? I've read some people say that they are near silent unamped. I can't help but to think they're talking from their a** but I don't know a thing about high quality headphones ^^

I'm using a Sony Walkman A829 player and listen mostly to Japanese rock. I've heard Sennheisers are the better cans for rock than compared to say a K701?

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 21
Unamped the 600 is boring, the sound is very dull, the 595 not as much. If you really want good unamped phones I'd say avoid the higher end senns.
THe 701 are also a waste of money unamped. You'd be much better off with ad700 form AT or SR60-225 from grado.

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 21
there are 2 versions of the 595 btw..one is 50ohm and the other is 120ohm....if you got the 50ohm, it shouldnt be too tough to run...

however, 120ohm 595 and the 300ohm HD600 would require a amp to open them up...if not they sound extremely congested.

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 21
Buy the HD600 used and picked up a used amp from the FS forums that way you get both peices for about the price of the HD595 new. Then just sit back with a big smile on your face as you rediscover all your music.

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #12 of 21
Problem is really that amps are pretty much impossible to get here in the Netherlands. Only thing I can get is an Nuforce Icon Mobile but surely that can't be enough to drive the HD600's?

I'm looking to get a HD600 cheap but the cheapest I can get is is 230 euros compared to the 130 for the HD595. Really by now I should have long gone for the HD595's but it's just that I still sometimes read that people feel the HD600's is still better than the HD595's unamped. That makes me doubt, even though I shouldn't doubt. That's why I'm still not sure what to do. I'm really buying these headphones for home use.

Originally I wanted to get portable headphones but then I changed my mind and really just wanted cans that are a big big step up from what I've been used to. I listened to a pair of Beats of a friend of mine and I was even impressed by them and didn't expect them to get trashed here. Obviously I have never heard ''hifi'' cans but still. Basically everything is telling me that I should get the HD595's but even if the HD600's are slightly better unamped, I might get that one.

So still not know what to do...I should've never visited Head-Fi...^^

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #13 of 21
You could buy HD595 used now and if you feel like upgrading you can sell it and take the HD600/650 plunge too. You won't loose too much money that way.
The HD595 would be a great step up coming from pretty much nothing
smile.gif

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 21
if you buy used amp from the fs/ft forum, i'm sure most people will be willing to ship internationally as long as you pay the extra shipping charges. from experience and reading other people's experience, you'll probably eventually end up wanting to upgrade and get an amp and the 600 anyways. so maybe it's just better to get it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back