HD595 or AT-A900?
Jun 20, 2007 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

judas391

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm a high school student and am generally new to listening to music via "higher quality" headphones in general. I normally listen to music in the 128-256kbps range for about 5 to 6 hours per day. I used to have a surround sound system, but my landlord complained about the loudness.
Which of these would most suit my needs?
Audio Technica A900s - $165
Sennheiser 595s - $205
Sennheiser 555s - $100

These are local, so I wouldn't need shipping or anything.

Chris

PS My playlist is mainly composed of old Metallica/Guns N' Roses, classics like Boston/The Allman Brothers Band, etc. some heavy metal (Pantera, Death,etc.) and GRUNGE (Alice, Nirvana, PJ, Soundgarden, etc.)

Jun 20, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 9
just a tip: if you look around online you can find them a little cheaper even after taking shipping into account.

The 595's, just for an example, can be had here for ~$180 including shipping:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3962028

I can't really comment on the AT's since I haven't heard them, but as far as the senn's go, you might look into the HD555 as well, they're quite a bit cheaper and are pretty close to the HD595 in sound quality. Unless you have a pretty good rig behind them (in which case the differences are magnified), imo the 595's aren't really worth the price jump.
If price is no option, though, I would definitely recommend the 595's, especially if you plan on upgrading your source, buying an amp/dac, etc later on.

EDIT: You may want to check out some grado's or alessandros with that musical taste, try searching for the alessandro MS-1. While the HD595's are excellent all-arounders, you'd be better served to go with some grados or alessandros if you'll be listening primarily to rock.

Jun 20, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 9
Don't forget Ebay, great deals can be made there.

Jun 20, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks a lot for the replies, guys. Unfortunately I can't go into the for sale forum because my account is too junior.
frown.gif

I'm mainly into local deals, I'm not too big on the whole idea of going through paypal or whatever.
If I could find grados on ebay I would definitely get them though. Heard that they were really good.
TY

Jun 20, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 9
G'day,

I have both the 555s and the A900s. I like both and would think you would be happy with either. I can't speak to the 595s though.

I think the main difference between the two is the obvious one: the A900s are closed and the 555 open. Decide whether you want open or closed and go from there I'd say.

In general the 555s are my choice for a "safe" pair of phones that I would recommend to anyone as a default choice. They are excellent quality, and with a fairly neutral sound that will not offend anyone. They will cope nicely with any style of music I would think.

In comparison the A900s are a bit more esoteric but not overly so. I would guess they are a *bit* more well suited to the style of music you're listening to, but there isn't much in it.

Maybe you could get the 555s now and upgrade later when you have some more cash? You really can't go wrong with the 555s - they are IMHO the absolutely best way to spend $100.

Jun 20, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks a lot man. I'm actually planning on getting both, I've ruled out the 595 because of my "budget" haha. Can;t believe I'm spending this kind of cash when i have no job. I'm hooked.

Jun 20, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 9
I have the A900s (havent heard the senns) and I think they have some traits you might like for your music. They have good impact on the kick drums, great for the double pedal bass drums your bands tend to use a lot. I also think that they give heavier guitars decent force and energy. Also, they are closed phones so that might be good for you if you are heading off to college soon or have loud siblings and can be driven pretty easily by a portable or laptop. On the downside, they are kinda big and can get in the way if you are laying down with them on.

Jun 20, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 9
Haha, yes the big aspect of the A900s have been very understressed. On the skytrain all the kids were staring at me like I was some alien or something. HAHA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back