hd595 impressions from a 555 lover
Jan 30, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #16 of 34
I've also just bought 595's and so far so good. I've been running them for about 3 hours now and I'm impressed how smooth they are, even now. For me they're an upgrade from HD415's so maybe no surprise I'm impressed. I'm off to listen to some Massive Attack
580smile.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #18 of 34
You guys don't find the 595 sound more like mono Left and Right channel? In other words, you don't think the 595 sound like the music comes from each Left and Right channel, instead of just one source in front of you?

Jan 30, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #19 of 34
BlessingX,
Yes, they are 50 ohms
Mirumu,
The 555s bass bloat is good with some thin sounding portables though like the newer sony PCDPs but out of my headfive with crossfeed on, which I love by the way, The 555s bass around the 80 to 100 hz sticks out more. I think its just because its the first time I got to listen to them this loud and clean compared to the time Ive been hooking them up with less powerful jacks. The bloat is OK when at low volumes with thin sounding sources which is probably why many people say why the 595s need an amp to shine. The 595s, even though not power hungry, need an amp for all its nuances to be appreciated. I'll also try them with my cousins top loading CEC CD Player to see what it sounds like with a good source. hmmmm or should I? I hate upgradeitus

One things for sure about the 595s though is that they play all my music good unlike the 555 which is more picky to play music that doesn't touch its flawed frequency ranges as much. The 555s dark upper mids really make some vocals and instruments dull on a lot of alternative rock recordings. Im at about 15 hours burn in now. I'll post more impressions once I get to 50 or 100 hours and when I try them with different sources and a variety of music.

On a side note, from my memory of my ms1s being compared to my hd555s. I have a different view from a lot of the posters in headfi where I thought the 555s more exciting and fun. I thought the ms1s with comfies w/ quarter mod was bland spatially and although it had livelier lower treble, didn't sound as real in the treble region with cymbals. The 595s take the 555s up a good notch. I no longer crave the grado immediacy which I always had a craving for (The sr60s had more of this great immediacy than the ms1 BTW), The 595s have this immediacy. Of course I haven't heard the RS1s.

I tried buying the beyer 990 05s thinking they would have sort of a grado immediacy which I find very important to be combined with a refinement which makes instruments sound more realistic/organic. This combination of traits is what I find fun and satisfying. The beyers went the opposite direction. No immediacy! midrange sounds flat and uninvolving to me. The 990s bass is nice though.

I envy you guys in the US for having so many meets where you could really try before you buy

Jan 30, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys don't find the 595 sound more like mono Left and Right channel? In other words, you don't think the 595 sound like the music comes from each Left and Right channel, instead of just one source in front of you?

They are great with crossfeed

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #21 of 34
Just wanted to mention that I noticed that they(my 595s) are a little fatiguing right now at this point in the burn in process 15 hours around. I noticed that with my ms1s and 555s too since I tend to turn them up loud when all the macro and microdynamics arent all there yet. almost full volume on some songs with my headfive
icon10.gif
After checking the ms1s and 555s at 100 hours burn in, this fatiguing quality dissapeared. hmm. I would guess this will be the case for these too. I'll try playing the sheffield burn in track and see what happens

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Fool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently went from a HD 595 to the 2005 DT 990 and I'm blown away by the superior detailed trebles and the clean strong bass of the Beyer. The Sennheiser veil -which I always considered non sense - is now painfully clear to me. But hey, de coloribus et gustibus... Have fun with your HD 595!

It's not hard to find a brighter phone. Hell, I could turn up the treble on my amp, but is that more real? I attend a lot of live concerts (orchestral) and the balance I hear from the 595 is what I hear in the concert hall--if anything the 595 is brighter. So no, brighter doesn't do it for me. I want an accurate balance.

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by djdrsirmamjr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys find that amps make a difference with the 595? I'm either getting a nicer soundcard or an amp next, but I keep reading these aren't worth amping.

The only HP amp I've tried is the MF X-can v2. Wasn't impressed. I prefer good integrateds (though I am slightly curious to try out the Little Dot +. Anyone any experience of that with 595?). Incidentally, while very versatile the 595 still needs to be well matched. I can well imagine someone trying the 595 with a dull amp and hating it.

Jan 31, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Even after enjoying mine for a year, I agree that they still sound more like mono channels. Or, maybe I should say it sounds more like I'm sitting in the middle of the musicians while they sit in an arc around me. Been trying to talk myself into trying one of those fancy amps with crossfeed, but not sure how to go (To be read as: With a wife and 3 girls under age 8, I know I'll be hung from my nads if I can't figure how to smuggle one in!)
600smile.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not hard to find a brighter phone. Hell, I could turn up the treble on my amp, but is that more real? I attend a lot of live concerts (orchestral) and the balance I hear from the 595 is what I hear in the concert hall--if anything the 595 is brighter. So no, brighter doesn't do it for me. I want an accurate balance.

Its not always about the concert comparison, as in many ways concert halls are not quite perfection due to usually not perfected acoustics. I personally like the guitars to sound like they sound to me when they are in my hands, and if anything, that is what makes the hd595 veil apparent, although not severe, plenty of headphones are just way too bright (not even talking about grados). Think of musician's perspective vs the audience perspective, its all up the listener in the end to choose which one is better.

Jan 31, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess that means we haven't been saying they are worth amping enough then because they are. Of the people who buy the HD595 there are those who do not want an amp and want to make sure that the HD595 really doesn't need an amp to sound good. While personally I do not like an HD595 ampless, it's true that you don't need an amp for them but I don't think for a moment that this is their ideal configuration. They most definitely do improve significantly with an amp and in my opinion they love tubes.

I also agree with Donus' impressions of the HD595 compared with the HD555. That bass bloat on the HD555 was one thing that really killed them for me.

Mine did sound significantly better with my LDII+ when compared to my H/K receiver. Unfortunately for them my K-501 blew them away.

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by porschemad911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine did sound significantly better with my LDII+ when compared to my H/K receiver. Unfortunately for them my K-501 blew them away.

Which leaves me even more mystified about the 595 & LDII+ combination, since I bought an AKG 501 several years ago and returned it next day. Worst quality
phone I ever heard.
confused.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #30 of 34
After about 30 hours of burn in now, I decided to do a quick comparison between the 555 and the 595. The 595 is now more dynamic and detailed, and leaner in its presentation of midbass. My god the 555 holds its own though... A very good value of a headphone since the character/presentation is the same as the 595. I can imagine a non audiophile that enjoys high quality sound enjoy the 555s very much... especially for its rounder bass and more laid back character. Without doing an AB switch, I can definitely see how some people might even find the 555s more natural sounding. WOW

But of course my 555s have more than a thousand hours while the 595s have 30. My 555s suuuucked out of the box. I am a full on burn in believer since I got those 555s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back