HD595 AMP Recommendation
Feb 13, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by geestring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you people just get an amp for desktop use?? would it still sound good without an external dac?

I'd first get a good DAC before i consider getting an amp. Amping a bad signal will just result in a bad quality listening experience. You cant complete the link if the head of your link is crippled.
icon10.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #18 of 38
On the contrary, DAC would fry your phones if you don't have any attenuation in the chain ^.^ (unless it has headphone out).

Basically the chain is Source -> Amp -> Headphones.
source can be cd-player, vinyl player, audio card, DAC - whatever. DAC recommended if you are using a computer. Amp is a must with high impedance phones, not perfectly necessary with lower impedance, but you should have it in the chain if you have a DAC, and most importantly its good to get one that solves whatever weaknesses in the sound of your headphones that bother you. Headphones - you pick your favorite signature and comfort, and then build a system around em.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #19 of 38
HD 595 here, no difference with or without an Headfive whatever the source is my Fortissimo IV soundcard ( which has a very soft amplification stage ) at listening levels or an iPod Shuffle.

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #20 of 38
i guess for the price i think bithead is good... but supposedly its only "ok"

and im not sure if i want something for portability or just desktop.
maybe ill just make a cmoy for portability.

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azultra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD 595 here, no difference with or without an Headfive whatever the source is my Fortissimo IV soundcard ( which has a very soft amplification stage ) at listening levels or an iPod Shuffle.

Haha, I've been trying to support that idea that with hd595 source matters most of all, far more than amps xD. Although I do think amps make a differences when they have some kind of emphasis, just to color the sound rather than improve it, since that is what amps do when you don't have a high-impedance phone.

Feb 13, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, I've been trying to support that idea that with hd595 source matters most of all, far more than amps xD. Although I do think amps make a differences when they have some kind of emphasis, just to color the sound rather than improve it, since that is what amps do when you don't have a high-impedance phone.

That is right on the money. HD595 is really sensitive in picking up faults in recordings. In other words, you better have some well-recorded music to go along with this pair of headphones. As a result, the source (DAC) also matters a lot. If you get a good one, you should be set. Unless of course you wanna experience how the other potential aspects of the 595s sound.

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 595/SR-71 is a great combination! The 595 is substantially expanded ~ subtle, deeper, more accurate bass; delicate highs.

This little SR-71 amp looks nice , are there any more views on this ?

But if this little dot sounds as good as it looks i think ill have to go with the LD2++ , wonder if there going to do one in gold ?

post-2-1121842952.jpg

Feb 13, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #24 of 38
Feb 13, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #25 of 38
one says get dac first. other says amp...

which should i get first because i only have money for one or the other.

right now im using the hd595's with a ****** soundblaster live sound card.

only dac i know is the headroom micro dac... anything cheaper?

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by geestring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one says get dac first. other says amp...

which should i get first because i only have money for one or the other.

right now im using the hd595's with a ****** soundblaster live sound card.

only dac i know is the headroom micro dac... anything cheaper?

how about getting BOTH a DAC AND an amp for cheaper???

Headroom Total Bithead

biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #27 of 38
silverstone eb-01 is under $100... but i dont know about its quality.

check out the stickies, they have a huge list of amps for you to choose from

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #28 of 38
Ack not the bithead, good starter but not the item for hd595. I'd suggest emu-0404 for that price. Micro DAC is great (I am running one right now), and for experimental purposes I tried it without an amp (it only has line out). You would be relying on windows volume controls with it, which are according to most people here are a nono, but I am not noticing any differences are right off the bat.

Uraflit: You've already been through cheap amp not doing any good :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back