HD595 amp recommandation needed...
May 26, 2007 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

wildebassman

100+ Head-Fier
cool.gif
I have decided to start my headphones and amp adventure with
buying HD595 cans. Knowing that all headphones benefit from a headphone amp, I'd like to have some serious input. On my list now are:

> Heed CanAmp
> Corda Arietta / Headfive
> Gilmore Lite

I haven't heared any of these amps and just want to now is there a clear winner for the HD595? Is there one that has great synergy or do I have to look elsewhere? All help is appreciated!
wink.gif

Dennis.

May 26, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 21
Congrats on the 595's, I enjoy mine almost every day. I use an Arietta, feeding from my PC with Foobar2000 + ASIO4ALL and I can honestly say that my 595's have never sounded better. Keep in mind I have not heard many other amps, but if you go the Arietta do not expect a MASSIVE change to the SQ straight away. At first I was not happy with the amp, but after some burn in (pink noise seems to work wonders) this rig trully sings. The Crossfeed funciton is also handy if you find any recordings that feel uncomfortable (feels like someone is trying to turn your head through your ears).

Happy hunting.
cool.gif

May 26, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 21
...I should add that the Arietta does not "colour" the sound too much and lets the headphone speak for itself. If you are wanting to empasise the 595 sound then the Arietta will do that very well, with added smoothness and a touch of warmth. If you want to alter the sound (more bass etc) then maybe look elsewhere.

May 26, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 21
I heard that tube amplifier matches very well with hd595 and therefore I am going to buy one in China for mine once I get back to Hong Kong during summer...a little dot is much cheaper without the heavy postage cost...

May 26, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 21
Audio Jester, where do I get a cd with pink noise for burn in?
I have already been in touch with Jan Meier, he's really nice to deal with.

cheers,

Dennis.

May 26, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 21
On the list Headfive is the best choice, but I'd suggest you also take a look at something with tubes, preferably hybrid.

Meier amps have really nice effect on Sennheisers, where they let Senns speak for themselves as mention above, they generally emphasize airiness and instrument separation. The sound of the headphone remains the same though.

May 26, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 21
MaloS, thanks a lot for the input, more votes please...

May 26, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 21
@ wildebassman : If you need pink noise sample, you can maybe use repeat play of the 10 second clip linked here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_noise

@Malos, I recall from an older thread about 595 you had posted good results with the Darkvoice 336. Would you say the Meier amps is a better pairing with the 595?

I'm also looking to get my first amp for my 595, something which will be usable with other heaphones that may be harder to drive like the Beyers.

Thanks for your help.

May 27, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right here

Bink Audio Test CD

Track 58
cool.gif

Thanks for the link! How loud do you have to do this burning in?

Folks, thanks a lot for all the input! I have decided to go for the Corda Arietta amp, it's a slightly improved Headfive but pretty much the same amp according to Jan Meier. Also found a real good deal on the HD595's on Ebay Germany, so I'm set to order and wait.....
wink.gif

May 28, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildebassman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the link! How loud do you have to do this burning in?)

I'm no pro on this, but from my understanding it is good to use a volume that you can listen to yourself, too loud can damage your HPs. Don't quote me though ... I'm new here too
wink.gif

May 30, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headfive...definitely... I was about ready to get rid of my 595s (was using a Dynalo amp) until I got a Headfive. Now I really enjoy the 595s...that is when I don't have my Denons on my noggin....

which pair of denons do you have. My denons sound horrible directly to my x-fi sound card. But my hd595's sound OK. of the two undamped my 595's sound way better.

now i'm looking at a headfive, but i can't find where to buy one. any reccomendations? only one person is selling them in the FS section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back