HD595 - 7509HD - D1000 - questions
Oct 25, 2007 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Nepenthe

500+ Head-Fier
So I bought the Sony SA1000 a few weeks ago. I owned the SA5000 two years ago but sold it after about a month of ownership. I decided on the SA1000 for the similar sound signature and lower price, but I realize some real drawbacks. My other phones are the Bose QC2 -- which I use exclusively at work and EQ the bass hump out of -- and the Senn HD497.

I like certain aspects of the SA1000 clarity, but they really are very lacking in any weight or bass. They also CREAK something fierce -- I turn my head and hear loud creaking noises, and sometimes I hear creaks sitting perfectly still. The Bose feel much better built in this regard, and so do my old MDR-V6s -- no creaking. I also have issues with the comfort (the Bose are extremely comfortable) and the utility when lying down. I think they were a mistake, an uninformed purchase. I had similar issues with the SA5000s. Oh well.

So I'm looking for something that has a solid feel and no "chassis noise," that has a bit more bass impact (not looking for slamming or overwhelming bass), that has a nice intimate/comfortable feel, and that can be used lying down on my back or on my favorite chair. I'd like to retain some of the "quickness" and detail of the SA1000 midrange/highs. Oh, and I'm powering them with the headphone out of a Marantz CD-5001 CD player, which isn't a replacement for a headphone amp, but isn't terrible. I'm not looking to buy an amp real soon or anything.

The Sony 7509HD intrigues me -- looks very comfy, probably doesn't creak, but not sure about the sound, and not crazy about the coiled cord. The Senn 595 I've always wondered about -- I wonder how its chassis is and how it compares to the SA1000 in upper frequencies and transient response. The Denon D1000 also looks appealing and at $123 shipped is the least expensive -- how is the comfort and does it make chassis noises, how is the detail level, and would it be okay unamped?

Thanks! Trying to stay sane with the wallet -- went on a cruise, bought a house, two cars, an LCD TV, a new PC, and a bunch of furniture all in the past nine months.
eek.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Webrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A cruise, 2 cars, a house and furniture , LCD TV and a new PC. Sounds like you are on a spending spree. Why not get some Darth Beyers to match the decor?

No kidding. I'm surprised he isn't interested in an Orpheus.
blink.gif

Nepenthe,
The 7509HD is a monitoring headphone. It's not made for leisurely listening. It sounds like you have the finances to get a real headphone setup. The Denon line is excellent, but I would suggest for you the D2000 or D5000.

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 5
There's room in the budget for about $190 spent on headphones, that's really about it for now. I wasn't trying to flaunt my affluence, because I'm not relatively affluent by any means (one car was for me, one for my fiancee, and we benefit from among the lowest housing prices in the country, about $52/square foot for brand new construction, for instance).

Anyway, really looking for comments on the construction, solidity, chassis creaking or lack thereof of these three cans (and the ability to create more bass but still upper clarity, the comfort, and the ampless facility secondarily).

Thanks.

Also, when you say the 7509HD isn't meant for leisure -- and I understand it is a studio monitor -- what is it about that can in particular that makes it ill-suited to leisurely listening?

Oct 25, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 5
If you want something comfortable and flat, I'd suggest the DT-250-80 (pro). Comfy velour pads, replacable parts, can be had for ~$150, and is very usable unamped.

the 7509hd seems the same as the old 7509/v900 - though I can't be sure. They were not particularly comfortable, you'll get earsweat very fast and imho the mids and highs are a bit too recessed (I like bass, I love my DT-770 - the v900 just didn't do it right imho).

You'll probably also get a fair amount of chassis noise from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back