hd590 equinox cable upgrade!!!
Oct 15, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

And to head this thread-crapping off, and to save everyon's time, I'll state clearly right here than any subsequent off-topic and/or personal posts to this thread will be deleted by one of the moderators

Got that right !

Discussions often lead to heated debate and this is fine,I enjoy the discourse-the back and forth.
But personal attacks are not ,never have been and will NEVER be tolerated.
There is no place for it and in fact ends debate .

Behave dammit,don't make me come over there
very_evil_smiley.gif

rick "mod in absentia" cr42 AKA the Rickmeister or rickasaurus rex ,rickeraptor,and (still ?) the former "Bad Boy".

Hey MACSTER !
WHATS UP MAN !

Still waitin' for the friggin' review

eek.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #32 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
rick "mod in absentia" cr42 AKA the Rickmeister or rickasaurus rex ,rickeraptor,and (still ?) the former "Bad Boy".

LOL! Rickster, where you been?
wink.gif

Quote:

Still waitin' for the friggin' review

OMG, I totally forgot
run.gif

Oct 16, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #33 of 53
Taphil,

Man, you are doing some serious listening! Your comments are really thorough which is great so we can really get down to the nuts and bolts of this.

First off I, only have about half of those records, (not to bad for a jazz musician) but the ones I do have I will listen to again with your point of view in mind. The only "Univited" recording I have is the Unpluuged version. Were you talking about that or a studio cut.

I also want to make sure we have the terms right. When you say "hollow" I think of this as sounding like someone speaking through a pipe, a rolled up newspaper, a megaphone, a bull horn or something like that. Eagle Driver's complaint was, I think, about a "recession", or "hole" in the mid-range which indicates a softening or reduction of frequency in that area. Could you say which you are experiencing. If it is the later I think I understand and may even agree with you on that although I probably don't find it as annoying as you do. The thing about the voices I prefer on the 590's is that the seem larger and have a little more weight to them. It is possible that this feature is a result of the Stephan Arts cable but, as I said earlier, I can't, with any certainty, comment on that. I'll wait to hear from you on that.

The other thing is do you have a speaker based system.

Also, weren't you at one time trained as a recording engineer?

Well, I've got to get back to work and you probably need to get cracking on your studioes.

Talk soon.

Best
Brian

Oct 16, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #34 of 53
"Uninvited" was the studio version from the City Of Angels Soundtrack.

Yes, "recessed" is a much better word than hollow, so I'll have to use that from now on. Sorry abou that. If the mids are recessed, would this be caused by having the 590+stock cable adding too much highs and lows then?

I don't have any good speakers or even a stereo.

LOL, I'm only 19. No experience at all in anything related to audio recording.

Oct 18, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #35 of 53
bkelly kindly sent me his 590 Equinox cable to try out.

So I put them on, and the first thought that comes to my mind is, "What?"

My first observations: a lot less shrill, still has that upfront aggressive sound but less bright, but still bright and detailed (in a very good way), clearer less boomy bass, and best of all, the mids recession is gone.

Guess who's now saving up money for his own cable replacment!

Oct 18, 2002 at 4:35 AM Post #36 of 53
Taphil,

This shows why I have never been able to agree to some of the criticisms some people have made of the 590. It is because I have had the Stephan Arts cable on almost from the begining so I have never experienced anything like recessed mids, harsh treble or boomy bass. When I hear those complaints I think the comments sound wacky but if I had had the stock cable on mine maybe I would have understood.

Anyhow, with the Stephan Audio Arts Equinox cable (I know it's a mouthfull) I have always loved my 590's and in a big way.

Since, I sent you my cable I have listened to the 590's briefly with the stock cable and while I wasn't horrified by the sound of them with that setup I wasn't moved, either.

Lately I have been busy remastering a Tete' Montoliu CD (well known Spanish jazz pianist, everyone should have some of his CD's) that has a lot of noise on it and so I haven't been real excited to come home and wear myself completely out checking out headphones. So, as a consequence, I haven't really gotten around to listening to those CD's you listed but now it looks like I won't have to.

Do you have aftermarket cables on your 600's? The good news is that there are three or more different offerings out there and you can kind of tailor you cable purchase to your tastes when it comes to the 600's.

Eagle Driver,

Are you interested in trying out my Equinox cable? Your opinion would be valuable too since you have not liked the 590's in stock trim and for that reason your opinion on the cable swap could be very important? Let me know, I will gladly send it too you. Fact is, you'd be nuts to turn down this offer.

Talk tomorrow.

Best
Brian

Oct 18, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #37 of 53
bkelly on his quest to educate the mass
wink.gif
. Anyhow, I'm gathering information to make my own cable. When it's finish (2-3 weeks), I'll let you know the result comparing with stock cable on the HD590. Maybe I'll send you the cable to compare it with the Equinox. In my opinion, the Equinox is grossly overpriced, even more so than the Monster Cable. Hell, I'm new to headphone audio (i like big fat speakers
biggrin.gif
) and it seems to me like the whole industry is grossly overpriced, especially headphone amplifiers and cable, it's outrageous!!!

Oct 18, 2002 at 5:23 AM Post #38 of 53
Irons82,

You are right, I am on a quest about the 590's. I myself cannot believe how much effort I have put into seeing that these phones get the respect they deserve.

I'll tell you what is gross and that is that $250.00 and up phones come with jive cables and that some of these cables cost almost as much as the phones.

Good luck with your design. Let me know how it turns out. If they merit it I might take it up as my next quest.

Best
Brian

Nov 5, 2002 at 7:56 AM Post #39 of 53
I'm interested in a post above that stated something about the 'other' driver in the hd590 not getting the benefit of a cable upgrade that the other driver gets because the cord is only on one side. This seems very logical. So basically your getting an upgraded 'diver' (one side) not an upgraded headphone as a whole...right??

Nov 5, 2002 at 8:26 AM Post #40 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by D-Audi
I'm interested in a post above that stated something about the 'other' driver in the hd590 not getting the benefit of a cable upgrade that the other driver gets because the cord is only on one side. This seems very logical. So basically your getting an upgraded 'diver' (one side) not an upgraded headphone as a whole...right??

I supposed that if the sound issue is affected by capacitance and such; Then the short length of the cord between the drivers (no more than 30 cm as compared to the 3m stock cable) would mean that it would not make THAT much of a difference to be noticable.

Of course.. If you're hardcore enough, modding the headphones directly to accept 2 1/8" mono plugs would be great! Let's you use dual-mono amps.

Anyway, I'm happy with my DiY'ed HD200/270/49X/500/570/590 cable. 2.5m of Canare L-4E5S cable with Neutrik ¼" plug and some generic 2.5mm nickel plug. Sounds a great deal better than the stock for S$19.50 (~US$11.10). Not the best but it's what I can readily afford as a poor student.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2002 at 8:56 AM Post #41 of 53
Not the best but probably close - I saw your mod btw - very nice. Probably is just as good if not better than the equinox. I'm going to order parts fairly soon to make the cable - any suggestions?

Nov 5, 2002 at 9:38 AM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by D-Audi
Not the best but probably close - I saw your mod btw - very nice. Probably is just as good if not better than the equinox. I'm going to order parts fairly soon to make the cable - any suggestions?

If the 2.5mm plug (you definitely must junk the barrel) doesn't fit, stick it onto a drill/ rotary tool and file the excess off.
If you use a Neutrik ¼" plug, it's going to be a bitch to get the wire braid to solder on to the plug and yet have enough exposed length of the conductors to use a wire stripper (I recommend using a nail clipper to do the job instead).
Canare thin outer diameter (L-4E5*) cables are nicely flexible to work with. However, they can add that feeling of weight to the headphones.
You can opt to strip the outer most rubber insulation off the cable like i did. Do it for the length of cable that will hang in the air.
To insulate the braiding, I used PTFE (teflon) threading tape which is extremely cheap (used for plumbing works). Takes quite a while to insulate the cable. I recommend going round each point at least 3 times to properly insulate the braiding.

I just found a 2.5mm plug that fits perfectly once I junk the barrel. But that's here in Singapore and I do not know the online equivalent. The rough description is that the barrel is metal and has metal criss-cross patterns over it. There are also 2 strips around the barrel that is cut in as part of the design.

The pictures a little dated. I've switched that gold plated ¼" plug to a Neutrik plug and I've just bought a NAD 521i CDP to use in place of my Panasonic CT-430 PCDP.

Nov 5, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #44 of 53
I never said it was better - I've never heard either or, I said it possibly could be better. Your using basically the same components as the equinox, so if you've improved on it in any way, there you go. Just my opinion though, I could be totally off.

Nov 5, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #45 of 53
thanks for clarifying, I just thought you had a specific reason for thinking it was a better cable. your exact words were "Probably just as good if not better than the equinox."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back