HD58X vs HD598se - which is better or is there a better option for ~$150?
May 20, 2023 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nagisan

New Head-Fier
Currently have an HD598se bought back in 2016, not having any issues with it as far as sound goes, but I have had to replace the cable and pads. Close to having to replace the pads again and was wondering if it'd be better to upgrade.

Currently looking at the HD58X Jubilee for $150, slightly more pricey than my 598s were ($110 when I got them). I know the drivers are smaller, but the impedance is higher and I already have an amp/DAC that can handle them (Sound BlasterX G6). I admittedly don't know a ton about audio quality, and I don't even listen to a ton of music....but I do play a lot of games (nothing competitive) and enjoy good sounding audio. I also occasionally listen to ASMR to relax, and love "feeling" the sound in my ears (lots of scratching or "rough" sounds).

Is the 58X even an upgrade over the 598s? If so, is it worth upgrading from what I have? Is there a different brand/model that would be better around the $150 range (may go as high as $200 but feel higher end audio isn't necessary for my usage), or should I just stick with my 598s?

May 20, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 8
In comparison, the HD598se would have nice detail, but a slightly more boring sound.
HD58X a more lively sound (bass/treble), but slightly less detail.
Soundmagic HP200 open headphones $130, have a very lively sound.
I own the HD559 and HD58X and HP200.

May 20, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the info. Looking up the HP200s they have an even larger driver size, but very low impedance. From my limited knowledge, isn't higher impedance generally better for audio quality? If it matters, I'll only be using them on my desktop with the amp/DAC I have, so at this price range driving a higher impedance headset isn't a concern.

May 21, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 8
I the old days audio sources that over-ear headphones plugged into, had a high output impedance (Ohms), those headphones need to have an even higher (600-Ohm) impedance.
But now that batteries (in smartphones and DAPs, etc) are what most headphones are plugged into, the headphones need to be very power efficient (low voltage). So headphones makers now use much lighter diaphragms, which require much less voltage (low Ohm headphones use less voltage), but should still perform well.

May 21, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #5 of 8
Gotcha....doing some additional reading it seems like impedance isn't really a factor of quality as long as you have the right equipment to drive the headphones.

How do the HP200s compare directly to the HD58Xs? Is one generally better than the other for general usage?

I have concerns of the cable on the HP200s, some reviews have mentioned to cable can break pretty easily and I've already had to replace my HD598se cable. It seems difficult to find a replacement due to the proprietary locking mechanism (there are some, but the most common I've found online is like $30).

May 21, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 8
Gotcha....doing some additional reading it seems like impedance isn't really a factor of quality as long as you have the right equipment to drive the headphones.

How do the HP200s compare directly to the HD58Xs? Is one generally better than the other for general usage?

I have concerns of the cable on the HP200s, some reviews have mentioned to cable can break pretty easily and I've already had to replace my HD598se cable. It seems difficult to find a replacement due to the proprietary locking mechanism (there are some, but the most common I've found online is like $30).
Yea, the cable with the HP200 is not high quality, it's functional, but the one with my HP200 is also in need of replacing.

May 21, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #7 of 8
Yea, the cable with the HP200 is not high quality, it's functional, but the one with my HP200 is also in need of replacing.
Thanks again - I think this pushes the HD58X up to the top for me. I use my headphones daily so the ability to replace the cable if need be is important. Not that you can't find alternatives for the HP200, but they seem more obscure/expensive to replace.

You didn't mention having the HD598s, but in your opinion would it be worth replacing them with the HD58Xs? Or are they close enough that it's not going to be much difference?

May 21, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back