HD580 vs HD595!
Mar 19, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #31 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no wonder since it's completely the same phone except for small piece of foam inside.

You have proof of this? The 595 is considerably more expensive. You're effectively telling us that it's a complete rip-off.

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #33 of 60
Use the HD 595 on a daily basis together with some 280 Pro's for closed/base performance. I know a lot of my co-workers uses the HD 555 or 280 Pro. The HD 595 is essentially a new driver design driven to the best it can preform within reason. The HD 555 is a bang for the buck version of that same driver using cheaper plastics, lowered minimum spec's to driver etc. and a few modifications. The HD 580/600/650 are a different [older] driver and structure system where the 650 had some minor tunes. They are made to be the best as can be with the Sennheiser house sound on this dynamic driver.
The only reason the HD595 has such a high model number is to indicate its made nearly with the same technical design philosophy as HD600 and HD650 - where almost nothing is spared. Not to indicate that they are nearly interchangeable. The HD580 model number is old and can't be related to current numbers also its is like the HD 600 today - from an audiophile point of view its not really a clear second place to the 650. From a Sennheiser point of view the HD 650 should be regarded as the top contender with the house sound however. Question is do you like the house sound?

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #35 of 60
I think that HD595s are seriously underrated at Head-fi, with so many people making it sound as if it's the ****test can in the world.
It does great at what it does, but it's just the case that it's not the best value for money, that's all.

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #36 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please...555 and 595 use completely same driver. And your assumprions is...well it's just your assumptions.

Its not an assumption - met the guy who was in charge of the HD 595 because he happened to be in Denmark at one point just after I got my pair. Apparently not that many had gotten a pair at that point so he was interested in my opinion and we talked a bit about them - especially, at the time, new comfy design which the guys pioneered for the HD595. HD 800 BTW is basically a new driver with this design + extra goodyness so I'm very hopefull with its comfy levels
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

I think that HD595s are seriously underrated at Head-fi, with so many people making it sound as if it's the ****test can in the world.

No, they are good headphones. There are simply better ones, (even for the money IMO, I dont like HD595 personally but thats beside the point) HD580 and HD595 fight in completely different leagues. HD580 is amongst the top line (not counting in the reference class of course) where HD595 is around low-midfi category. Compared to competition, HD595 closest competitor in soundquality would be IMHO Grado SR125-SR225 and such where HD580 wrestles with SR325i-RS1 headphones. HD580 rips HD595 apart from tightness and extension of bass, detail of midrange to clarity of treble and size of soundstage.

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #38 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guarneri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure I can agree with many of the previous posts. I loved the 580s for classical music, but the 595s were superior without a good amp and for much of the music you listen to.

I kinda agree with this. I haven't heard the 580's but my 595's do well with all kinds of music. Like a jack of all trades headphone and even though it doesn't need amiping, it really does make them shine.

Oh, and they rock for movies!

Cheers

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #39 of 60
HD580s with HD650 Cable, HD600 Grille and the APS foam mod!

The reviews on that combo are great, if you can find the HD580 cheap, I'd do that.

HD595 is overrated, I was not impressed at all, it holds the award for most overrated among the headphones I have heard.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #40 of 60
So after putting a good 500 hrs on my 580s since i got them, I decided to a/b them with the 595 that I bought new about a year ago.
My findings echo the general consensus of this thread. The 580 is superior in sound quality. The highs are so much smoother. The 595 had a graininess to them that never seemed to go away. I'm not sure i would call it sibilance but it had a sizzle on some crash hits that persisted throughout different genres of music. The 580s highs are smooth yet detailed while sitting nicely in the mix. The mids of the 595 are nice and especially with vocals, took on a 3D like quality. the Bass and general fullness of the 580 is where they really excel. To my ears, they are just a much more satisfying headphone even out of an ipod. Of course they are not as loud as the 595 with the ipod but loud enough for me.
the one category I will give to the 595 is comfort. The 580s fit quite snug on my melon. I like to take them off every hour or so and let my brain decompress.
biggrin.gif
the 595 i can wear for hours on end. Sometimes I would forget they are on. For games and movies I might choose the 595 over the 580. For Critical listening and music production the 580 is my go to headphone. Some of the harsh sentiment regarding the 595 is a bit exaggerated. They served me well for the year I used them.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #41 of 60
The simpliest way i can put it is this: 595s are fine but 580s have more potential for growth. It all depends on how you're driving them.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #42 of 60
It's kinda silly to even talk about a price-performance comparison between the two phones only. The HD580 should (and does) sound much better with the much more expensive setup it requires. I agree the HD595 is underrated here, but properly powered the HD580 wins on all counts.

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me there's pretty much zero reasons to get it over the HD555. The HD580 is certainly leagues above it.

I wish I knew that 18 months ago. Unfortunately, I had yet to discover this community.

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #45 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD580 should (and does) sound much better with the much more expensive setup it requires. I agree the HD595 is underrated here, but properly powered the HD580 wins on all counts.

i find this post to most accurately match my experience. as an owner of hd600s and hd595s, i say that if you have a decent desk amp, spring for the 580s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back