HD580 still available anywhere?
May 12, 2009 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

slackman

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a HD580, and read that they were going for $120 or so new a while ago.
I normally buy used but for that price I'll buy new.

Problem is I can't find it anywhere online anymore.
Does anybody know a place that still sells them?

Btw sorry if I should've placed this message in the for sale / trade forum, but I have too few posts to post there.

May 12, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 13
I don't think so. I think you misunderstood.. they go for about that price used (sometimes, more like $150).

If you find a place to get them for $120.. I want in too, btw. =)

May 12, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 13
No I read several threads saying they were available at for instance amazon for $120.
Another thread said $115, and saw an online review somewhere else that listed them for $125.
But this is a few years ago.

I saw one go second hand for a little less than $150 too (though I don't know if it sold for that price) but it was with HD650 cable and HD600 grids or coushioning i think.

If they're not available new anymore for that price too bad indeed.
If anybody is selling theirs please send me a pm.

May 12, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 13
Wishful thinking. If you can find the posts where they went for $120 and it's been within the past 12 months, post the links or PM the poster. The HD580 has been discontinued for some time. I don't believe you'll be successful in locating even NOS (new old stock).

Used they typically go for $150 for the stock HD580, up to about $180 for the HD580 with the HD600 grills and the HD650 cord. Good luck!

May 12, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 13
Nowhere will you find new HD580's.

I paid $180 for a used but mint condition pair and I'm more than happy with my purchase. They compare very well with phones costing double imo.

If you can find a gently used pair for around $150 I recommend getting them. They are getting hard to find and you can almost certainly turn them with little to no loss.

May 12, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 13
amazon cleared them out for $130 a few years ago. i wish i picked up a pair now, but i was still low-fi with my mx500's or koss plugs back then.
frown.gif

May 12, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 13
As everyone else has said, you probably won't find them new anywhere, especially for that price. You might be able to find them at a hi-fi store that have leftover stock, but that's it.

There are plenty of options buying them used though. The pairs that turn up around the FS forum are about $150-170 normally and most head-fiers take good care of their gear. They show up from time to time on ebay and craigslist too. I'm not sure how lucky you'll get with regards to craigslist in the Netherlands, but I've found pairs of HD580s in the US on craigslist for less than $100; the only problem is that people on craigslist tend to not nearly take as good care of their gear as people on head-fi.

At any rate, I doubt you'll be disappointed with them. I feel they do very little wrong. The only thing that bothered my about them was a slight midbass emphasis, but depending on your taste that might be a virtue. I still wish I had my pair, but I had to sell them to purchase an amp. I actually prefer them to every headphone I've ever heard besides the K500, but I needed something that didn't leak sound so I kept my Sextetts instead. I might buy another one if I like what my Compass can do for a friend's pair.

May 12, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #11 of 13
Man, I didn't know you could buy them for $120 before.

Too bad I didn't get into this hobby back then... that sounds like a complete steal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back