HD580 Soundstage
Jan 20, 2007 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Ace o' Spades

500+ Head-Fier
I have a pretty simple question. I will soon be getting the HD580 and would like to know what to expect from the soundstage. I am coming from a slew of Grado and IEMs so it should be a big jump.

Thanks
600smile.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #2 of 30
There will be a huge jump if you're used to Grados and IEMs. Though it doesn't have quite as wide a soundstage as the K501, it produces a much more natural sounding soundstage and doesn't lose any detail.

Have fun with the new phones.

PS - I don't see why people make posts like these though..."Just order a ____, what should I expect?" I mean come on, you already ordered it, why not just wait to listen to it? You're bound to have a much less biased opinion and you'll perceive the sound with more openmindedness. If someone says "The HD580 has a very very wide soundstage" and it's not as wide as you were expecting, will you be disappointed? If you had heard it first maybe it would've seemed wider...

Sorry, just ranting.
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS - I don't see why people make posts like these though..."Just order a ____, what should I expect?" I mean come on, you already ordered it, why not just wait to listen to it?

Well, at least he asked a question. What was your excuse a year ago? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
wink.gif

The soundstage change will be big. Just be aware they're power hungry. People spend years upgrading Senns. Almost enough power, almost enough power...

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, at least he asked a question. What was your excuse a year ago? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
wink.gif

Wow, good work blessingx
wink.gif
I don't even remember back that far
tongue.gif

I guess I was just pumped about my first cans. I didn't ask for anyone's impressions. Asking something like "I just ordered _____, does it have good bass?" is a bit worse than just saying "I just ordered _____, can't wait to get them, I'll post impressions," IMHO.
cool.gif

But it's all good. I'm never tired of answering questions and helping people out (maybe I will be in a few thousand posts), it just seemed a bit odd to me that people would ask about cans after they buy them.

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #5 of 30
Just wanted to poke a little.
cool.gif

I think it's about excitement and managing expectations either way.

Ace I think you will be happy. Having a pair of upper Senns and any Grados (not to mention Super.fis) are a great way to cover a lot of basses. Now get rid of those HD201s.
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #6 of 30
yeah depending on your source and amp, the soundstage will vary. But it will sure create more space than a grado and an IEM. I find the HD580s to be really unique in that it sounds different on a variety of equipement, where as (some ) grados sound the same on a variety of equipment, especially the lower end series. I'm sure you'll love your HD580s, it was a revelation when I heard my first pair.

Jan 20, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace o' Spades /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pretty simple question. I will soon be getting the HD580 and would like to know what to expect from the soundstage. I am coming from a slew of Grado and IEMs so it should be a big jump.

Thanks
600smile.gif

perception of "soundstage" is so subjective that any attempts to put into words would be pointless...one thing i will say is that you should upgrade the 580 stock cable to the 650's stock cable. it only costs about $12 at sennheiser website. it will open up the highs and increase the signal volume slightly.

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile;2645210PS
- I don't see why people make posts like these though..."Just order a ____, what should I expect?" I mean come on, you already ordered it, why not just wait to listen to it? You're bound to have a much less biased opinion and you'll perceive the sound with more openmindedness. If someone says "The HD580 has a very very wide soundstage" and it's not as wide as you were expecting, will you be disappointed? If you had heard it first maybe it would've seemed wider...

I havn't ordered them yet buddy. I just wanted to know how big of a step up they will be IF I order them.

600smile.gif

Also, I have a pretty solid PIMETA to back them up with, so amplification is already provided. I want to snatch up some more agressive chips for it in case the OPA2227 is too laid back.

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace o' Spades /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I havn't ordered them yet buddy. I just wanted to know how big of a step up they will be IF I order them.

600smile.gif

Also, I have a pretty solid PIMETA to back them up with, so amplification is already provided. I want to snatch up some more agressive chips for it in case the OPA2227 is too laid back.

Quote:

I will soon be getting the HD580

Sorry, I might be dumb
frown.gif

580smile.gif
580smile.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 30
Re: blessingx's research.

Peoples beliefs change over time. If your 12 year-old Sister recently got pregnant, your previously staunch anti-abortion stance might change.

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #13 of 30
LOL at blessingx and Mrvile 's conversation
580smile.gif
580smile.gif

Guess that's what gonna happen when you don't go to sleep early like a good kid
tongue.gif

Regarding the soundstage of HD580 vs Grado and IEMs, BIG CHANGE! You will feel like your music just grow 200% from inside your head to a little theatre around your head. Don't hesitate man, just place your order, you won't regret it!
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re: blessingx's research.
Peoples beliefs change over time. If your 12 year-old Sister recently got pregnant, your previously staunch anti-abortion stance might change.

Hopefully we adjust (even politicians), but hopefully we also still remember the other side a bit to relate.
wink.gif

I was just harassing Mrvile a little 'cause many of us, probably most, have had threads like this. That's why it was easy to search and jump back to page one of his/her threads. And yes I've had them too.

For whatever it's worth, as long as you have the equipment to power or money to purchase that associated equipment, the HD580s price is a killer deal in audio.

Jan 20, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #15 of 30
I don't the 650's have a bad soundstage but I do have the feeling that if I was listening to a concert, I'm not standing at the first row, but rather far away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back