HD580 - Should I Upgrade to a Cardas Cable?
Aug 8, 2006 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Lavalamp

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for advice and experiences.

1. I have the HD580 with HD600 grills. I have only ever listened to the stock cable. These are my favourite headphones (compared to the HF-1 and HD590).

2. I have a DIY M3 amp.

3. My sources are quite good. I have a Thorens TD160S turntable, an AT440ML cartridge and a Musical Fidelity X-LPS phono preamp. I have a NAD C521BEE CD player and a modded ART DI/O DAC.

4. From my research, Cardas most appeals to me for a cable upgrade.

5. I am, on the whole, a cable sceptic, but am trying to keep an open mind.

6. A Cardas cable will cost more than I paid for my HD580's.

7. I have a suspicion that a cable upgrade will only yield a 5 - 10 % improvement in performance.

8. The money spent on a cable upgrade could go a long way towards purchasing the AKG701's.

9. By the year's end, I should have completed a Millet Hybrid.

Anybody care to share any advice or opinions on my situation?

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
I would personally get a HD-650 cable.

There is a rumour going around this forum that the only difference with a stock HD650 cable is that the outer covering is thicker.

If this is correct, then I would think the only possible difference with my stock HD580 cable would be some change in capacitance. I may be wrong.

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavalamp
There is a rumour going around this forum that the only difference with a stock HD650 cable is that the outer covering is thicker.

The wire inside is also thicker.
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 16
When I upgraded my HD-580's to the Cardas I definitely noticed an improvement.

Whether the improvement was worth the money I spent or not is something I still haven't decided.

And now the 580's are gone so I can't do any more listening to try to decide.

I think your numbers are about right, about 5% - 10% improvement, probably closer to 5%.

Aug 8, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Whatever the rumours say, it does not change the fact that I heard a difference. IMO the HD-650 cable is more superior (to the stock HD-580 cable) in terms of transmitting electrical signals, not to mention its better build quality as well. Price is, suffice to say, unbeatable by any other cables.

Regards.

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 16
The cardas headphone cable made a difference for me, and I'm using an audigy. I can no longer enjoy certain mp3 tracks
mad.gif
because the cables are so revealing. I also bought a HD 650 stock cable, but never used it cause I got the Cardas shortly afterwards. I might do a comparison later if seriously interested, otherwise I'd prefer not to yank the cardas wires off of my HD 600 for safety reasons
tongue.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #10 of 16
Honest question -- do you like the sound of the stock cable already? If so, I wouldn't upgrade. I always did like the stock HD580/600 cable, unlike many folks. IMO it has a nice warm, sweet and *very* airy sound and a nice front-to-back spaciousness.

Just about every replacement I tried (admittedly not very many) dumped most of the stock airiness and 3-D quality in favor of more solid bass and a flatter/two dimensional sound. Dunno if every cable out there is like that, but clearly you'll want to hunt around a bit.

Aug 9, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Honest question -- do you like the sound of the stock cable already? If so, I wouldn't upgrade. I always did like the stock HD580/600 cable, unlike many folks. IMO it has a nice warm, sweet and *very* airy sound and a nice front-to-back spaciousness.

Just about every replacement I tried (admittedly not very many) dumped most of the stock airiness and 3-D quality in favor of more solid bass and a flatter/two dimensional sound. Dunno if every cable out there is like that, but clearly you'll want to hunt around a bit.

As I said, my HD580's with the stock cable are my favourite headphones. It's hard to describe, but to my ears, the 580's just seem to have more authority than my HF-1's.

I'm considering an upgrade, hoping to squeeze more performance out of my HD580's. A downside to living in the Antipodes is that you don't get the opportunity to audition things like cable upgrades.

I have just ordered a HD650 cable from Sennheiser, as the price was very reasonable. I shall report back on my findings once it arrives.

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

I have just ordered a HD650 cable from Sennheiser, as the price was very reasonable. I shall report back on my findings once it arrives.

The cable arrived today. I have just listened to two of my current favourite recordings, the MFSL SACD hybrid of Dave Alvin's "Blackjack David" (I can only play redbook, but this is a superb sounding disc for the HD580's or HD6x0's qualities) and the Steve Hoffman mastered vinyl of "Morph the Cat".

The difference is significant. Overall, a layer of fog has been lifted. On "Blackjack David" I can notice major improvements to the decay of acoustic notes, and I can detect much more of the room ambience in the recording. Bass seems tighter. On the vinyl, soundstaging and imaging has definately improved.

Thanks for the advice, as from my intital impressions, this has been one of the most cost effective upgrades I have experienced.

I am a cable sceptic no more. I'm starting to think that if a Cardas is an improvement over the stock HD650 cable, it may well be money well spent!

Aug 11, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #13 of 16
While the HD-650 stock cable is well worth its price, the massively more expensive Cardas (how many times of hundreds of percents, is that?
very_evil_smiley.gif
) will not yield the kind of improvement proportional to the price. Think law of diminishing return.
wink.gif

I also love the stock cable of the HD-650 on my HD-650. Much prefer it to the SD cable I had previously and my wallet sure appreciates the saving.

Regards.

Aug 15, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 16
I recommend you cut the connectors off your hd580 cable and make yourself a cable out of it! I bet for the cost of the cardas you could easily have your hd650 cable PLUS a DIY silver cable or something..

Aug 19, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #15 of 16
Like you, I started out with the HD580 (everything stock). Next, replaced the cable with a (stock) HD650 cable - nice improvement, and showed me what a cable change could do. Next, replaced the Grills with HD600 grills - nicer, cleaner sound. Next, replaced the HD650 cable with the Cardas cable - biggest improvement in every sound category. Do I think it was worth the $$ for the Cardas cable? - without a doubt. Jude's review of the Cardas cable for the HD600 is a really well written and informative source, with which I am in full agreement. The differences and my enjoyment of the sound went up similarly to when I upgraded from the SR60 to the SR225 in the Grado line. Well above the predicted 5% - 10% variety of improvement - more like taking the listening experience to a whole new level of involving richness, vividness and enjoyment. BTW, I also think it was worth every $ spent in that upgrade as well. A little later, I replaced the stock power cord on the DEQ 2496 to a Volex 17604 - which totally eradicated all lingering traces of the Sennheiser veil - and I'm SET!!! As always, YMMV, that's how I experienced these changes in my rig (shown below in my sig).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back