HD580 Questions
May 1, 2005 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

crewchief

100+ Head-Fier
I am trading someone here on head-fi for a pair of HD580's that I should have by next week
orphsmile.gif
. I was wondering though if the 580's share the same drivers as the 600 and 650's? I am sorry if this has been discussed before, but I tried searching with no answer.

Also if you read on headphilie about the 580's they say that they are in the same "family" as the 600/650's and that the only way to tell a differance is with $10,000 equipment. Is this true, do they have the same sonic attrabures to each other? I by no means have $10,000 equipment and plan on running them thru my Audigy 2 ZS--->Cmoy built for 300ohm cans.

One last thing also, once I get these cans and seeing how alot of members tend to like them am I officially stepping up into the "Head-Fi" relm
tongue.gif
. Because right now all I have is a pair of 280's and I hope the 580's will show a great improvement in overall sound.

Thanks,
Crewchief

May 2, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 10
Greetings,
in a nutshell: YES. it shares the same drivers as the hd600, but not the hd650. Only differences are hd600 has a more expensive housing made from carbon fibre, and better 'matched' drivers. As what headphile stated, it is very difficult to detect any audible differences between the hd600 and hd580s, hence making it exceptional value for money.

the hd650, is another beast altogether. Overall sound signature is -similar- to the hd580/hd600, but is supposed to be superior in tonal balance and refinement.

bwahahhaha...welcome to the darkside. the hd580 is a gateway drug to the other sections of this forum. It scales really well with any new equipment changes (source, amplifier, cables). I'm pretty certain after acquiring your new cans, members here will advice you to change your source, then your amp, then your cables. its a vicious cycle i'm warning you. LOL

May 2, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by eitook
bwahahhaha...welcome to the darkside. the hd580 is a gateway drug to the other sections of this forum.

Yes I know this bug that bites you all to well when it comes to Home Theater equipment. I just hope my wallet and marrage survives.
orphsmile.gif

May 2, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 10
oh, boy
plainface.gif
. I'm thinking about taking a similar step by getting either the HD 580 or the HD 595.

Edit: Crewchief, what changes were made to the cmoy for 300 ohm cans?

May 2, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief
Also if you read on headphilie about the 580's they say that they are in the same "family" as the 600/650's and that the only way to tell a differance is with $10,000 equipment. Is this true, do they have the same sonic attrabures to each other?

IME the "$10,000 equipment" quote is bunkum -- I can hear the differences even on entry level hi-fi gear (I owned both HD580 and HD600 for quite awhile). The differences are indeed somewhat subtle though.

What it really requires to hear the difference is very dynamic music, I.E. with a wide dynamic range that changes from ultra-quiet to ultra loud, fast and often (like symphonic classical, for example). Since most people into well-recorded classical buy higher-end gear to listen to it, this may be where the idea started that it takes big-bux equipment to hear the differences.

May 2, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Also if you read on headphilie about the 580's they say that they are in the same "family" as the 600/650's and that the only way to tell a differance is with $10,000 equipment.

I think you mean headroom not headphile =P

May 2, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Edit: Crewchief, what changes were made to the cmoy for 300 ohm cans?

I don't know what changes are going to be made as Mark the Modderator for the DIY forums is going to build me a Cmoy and he said he can change some stuff to better suit the 300ohm cans.

Natsuiro your right, I did mean to say headroom and not headphilie. My bad and sorry for any confusion to anybody reading this.

Crewchief

May 2, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
IME the "$10,000 equipment" quote is bunkum -- I can hear the differences even on entry level hi-fi gear (I owned both HD580 and HD600 for quite awhile). The differences are indeed somewhat subtle though.

What it really requires to hear the difference is very dynamic music, I.E. with a wide dynamic range that changes from ultra-quiet to ultra loud, fast and often (like symphonic classical, for example). Since most people into well-recorded classical buy higher-end gear to listen to it, this may be where the idea started that it takes big-bux equipment to hear the differences.

Ok I can understand your opinion and I really don't listen to stuff with that wide of a dynamic range. Heck I only have two DVD-A discs and that is Mettalica: The black album, and Stone Temple Pilots: Core. Seeing that you have been around the block more and seem to have tried these first hand is eitook right in that they share the same drivers and some of the same attrabutes as the 600's?

Crewchief

edited for grammer errors

May 2, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Ok I can understand you opinion and I really don't listen to stuff with that wide of a dynamic range. Heck I only have two DVD-A discs and that is Mettalica: The black album, and Stone Temple Pilots: Core. Seeing that you have been around the block more and seem to have tried these first hand is eitook right in that they share the same drivers and some of the same attrabutes as the 600's?

Crewchief

Yes, they share the same drivers, and sound close enough that if you're not listening to some particular music and not looking for differences, you won't notice any. I'm speaking only for the 580 vs. 600, and not the 650.

P.S. if you listen to much metal and guitar rock... to me it sounds uninvolving on the HD580 and HD600, but YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back