HD580 problem
Sep 2, 2001 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Brian

New Head-Fier
Finally got my 580s yesterday, and after a 24hr breakin, I put them on...to discover that the left channel is much softer than the right channel. I tried using a different amp, and I tried using both the 1/4" and 1/8" plugs but both seem to suffer this problem. Sometimes the sound drops out completely in the left channel too, until I turn the plug in the amp's phone jack.

I think I've heard of others having this same problem, and I saw a bunch of posts about it on Headwize, which are temporarily out of commission since they are over 1 year old though. Is there anything I can do, or do I have to contact Sennheiser for a replacement cable or what?

Thanks,
Brian

Sep 2, 2001 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 8
Well, you can either contact Sennheiser about replacement headphones or cords (they're really good about this, provided it's a genuine problem), or you can use Caig ProGold or another similar product on the headphone cord plugs...

Sep 2, 2001 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 8
Is there a loose/intermittent connection into the left driver? If so, just use the Caig ProGold stuff on those connects.

I also think that the drivers in the Senn 580 aren't matched as closely as they are in the 600...

Sep 2, 2001 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 8
True, the drivers aren't quite as closely matched in the 580s, but that has nothing to do w/ Brian's problem. I forget if ProGold was the product everybody was using to treat this or not. So either something is loose or it's just a bad connection. Do a search here and on Headwize, there should be several threads that talk about this.

Sep 2, 2001 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

True, the drivers aren't quite as closely matched in the 580s, but that has nothing to do w/ Brian's problem. - dhwilkin

I see that Brian only has connection problems, but also had the idea that if the left-right drivers were not closely matched, then one might sound louder than the other.

And on the same note, I only find that Grado mentions their driver matching tolerances...

Sep 2, 2001 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

kerykeion said...

I had the idea that if the left-right drivers were not closely matched, then one might sound louder than the other.

I suppose it's possible, but that'd have to be an extremely bad driver mis-match. I'd like to think Sennheiser's quality control (at least for getting drivers w/in certain tolerances) is better than that. Besides, he said the sound would sometimes drop out entirely for a short time. That sort of problem comes from physical damage or loose connections, not mis-matched drivers.

Sep 2, 2001 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the info guys. It's definately not a case of mis-matched drivers, the left channel is about 50%-70% the volume of the right one...it does seem to be an intermittent connection problem.

Since I just got the phones a day ago, I'd rather not send them in just yet and have to wait another week to enjoy them. So what is this ProGold stuff and how would I use it on the connectors?
Also where is this available?

Thanks

Sep 2, 2001 at 6:19 AM Post #8 of 8
I would send them in, Brian.
I mean they're just one day old, that's practically DOA.

If you start messing around now you might loose your warranty, and you don't want that, right?

Bye

Redwoood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back